For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
thomprod's profile

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

Saturday, April 13th, 2013 2:22 PM

Change the name of a Home Network Device

I'd like to change the name of some of the Home Network Devices that appear on my Gateway's Summary page from "unknown" to a more descriptive name.  How do I do this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

• 

3 Messages

Perfect on the Pace 5268AC.  Thanks!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

https://www.telecombusinesshub.co.nz/PDF/2Wire%20User%20Guide.pdf

If you defined a name for your computer during System Setup or when your computer was set up, the name
displays next to the device. However, there are two instances where the device name will not appear:

• If your computer was manually configured with a static IP address, the static IP address displays
instead of the computer’s name.
• If you have not named the device but it still obtains its Internet address from the system, the word
“Unknown” displays.

You can change the name of the device so that it will display in the system user interface by clicking the
Change name link.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for trying, izmeeh, but I can't find a "change name" link on my router's web interface.  I have the 2Wire model 3801HGV.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

thomprod - On the first page - down at the bottom - click on Home networking - You will get a list of devices - some records have an edit name link.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, aviewer, but if there was an edit name link, I would have used it. There is none.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

When I set up each of our three computers.....my wife's iPad....and both of our smart phones.....I gave each of them their own name during that device set up procedure.   Those names automatically became their names in the home network.   So I would think you would need to go the place in your device's operating system where you can change its name.  I personally don't believe that you would make the change in the RG or separate router.   At least that is the way I would tackle it.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

11 years ago

When I had a 3800 RG, I was able to rename all of my devices directly in the RG interface. I just had that RG replaced with a 3801, and I noticed that most of the entries for my devices didn't have the link to rename the device. So the RG gave each device a name that seemed to be based in part on its MAC address. The one exception was my Windows desktop, which eventually appeared with the computer name I had assigned to it. The other devices included an iPhone, iPad, WiFi connected printer, Xbox, and a few other devices. Nothing I did to try to rename the devices worked except for that link I posted above. There seems to be an additional page hidden in the RG web interface that can be accessed with this method that allows you to rename a device. Worked for me and it's worth a try.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you, Ponzi.  I followed the linked instructions and they worked perfectly.  All devices are now named.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.