For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rono111's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 17th, 2016 3:07 AM

Closed

Change DNS Server on router

I just switched to ATT.  I was using a tool called OpenDNS to do parental filtering which works by changing the DSN server on the router.  I have a Pace 5268C router and going through the config site I can't figure out how to change it.  Can this be changed?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @rono111,

We apologize about the inconveniences. You are not able to change the DNS on our gateway, but you can change the DNS on the device or use your own router behind ours and change the DNS on it.

-ATTU-verseCare

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@rono111   Has to stay on ATT DNS so it can authorize you and get to uni/multicasting for IPTV from VHO on ATT Intranet Network (never leaves ATT Network).  Only DNS that knows those addresses and can get to them. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

> @ATTU-verseCare We apologize about the inconveniences. You are not able to change the DNS on our gateway, but you can change the DNS on the device or use your own router behind ours and change the DNS on it.

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@rono111   Has to stay on ATT DNS so it can authorize you and get to uni/multicasting for IPTV from VHO on ATT Intranet Network (never leaves ATT Network).  Only DNS that knows those addresses and can get to them. ;

This is unacceptable.  Not everyone wants your censored DNS servers.  And how your equipment resolves internal names is irrelevant.  Insert a custom DNS server for your search domain if you must.

But you need to let users change the gateway's DNS.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

@rono111 You can do what I did. I have a secondary router. I plug it into the gateway just like you would a computer. Change the DNS on the secondary router and you are done. I use a Sophos XG router I built using an old computer. It also has built in filtering so that even if you override the DNS settings on the computer, it is still filtered.

BTW, I also DMZd my Sophos router, it's more secure than anything ATT provides and that way you can open ports for anything you may need.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hey Roxy what kind of router do u suggest as a third party. I want to change the DNS setting also to filter website access.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Using a second router slows your Internet connection speed.

I started with router behind router, and then I realized that I am getting half of the 1G fiber speed I signed up for.

I had to configure my own wifi mesh routers to be in AP mode, and immediately I get another 50% download speed bump.

But with mesh routers in AP mode, I am forced to use ATT gateway/router/dhcp etc.

And TIL you cannot change DNS servers on the ATT gateway.

This is so restrictive and wrong.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

In the past, I setup my AT&T router dhcp ip range to only be one address assigned and assigned that to a raspberrypi with adguard-home or pihole installed on it.  I then set the pihole to assign dhcp addresses and with that the dns server.  It works without having to go through another router.   All the network devices just want a DHCP server to give them an address.  Also with the adguard-home you can use quic or tls for external DNS and block port 53 in the AT&T firewall.  This will also block the new https DNS that all the websites are trying to use to get around ad blockers.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

In the past, I setup my AT&T router dhcp ip range to only be one address assigned and assigned that to a raspberrypi with adguard-home or pihole installed on it.  I then set the pihole to assign dhcp addresses and with that the dns server.  It works without having to go through another router.   All the network devices just want a DHCP server to give them an address.  Also with the adguard-home you can use quic or tls for external DNS and block port 53 in the AT&T firewall.  This will also block the new https DNS that all the websites are trying to use to get around ad blockers.

How did you set this up? I am trying to do the same but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I set up a DHCP server, which gets assigned its IP address from the AT&T router. 192.168.0.2

Then, I connect my second computer via ethernet to the AT&T router. It can't get an IP address since I just have 192.168.0.2 allocated as available. Without the IP address, I can't access the DHCP server at 192.168.0.2 to get an IP. Can you remember how you set this up?

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Another option, is to use one of your old "routers" to serve dhcp, you can disable dhcp on the ATT router and configure your "old" router for a static IP on the network and enable DHCP with your preferred DNS, plug it into the ATT router using one of the LAN, not WAN ports, and disable whatever services you don't want (maybe wireless radios off so they don't interfere) and have it serve DHCP.  I have a synology appliance on my network, so I just configured that to serve DHCP with my preferred DNS servers.   Most linux machines can serve dhcp and there are numerous windows apps available to serve dhcp as well if you have any of those on your network that you keep active.

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Run your test with wireshark.  Even if I have 64.6.64.6 and 1.1.1.1 as DNS servers, those requests are still routed over the ATT gateway and logged.   yahoo.com -> lookup 1.1.1.1 -> 192.168.0.254 DNS 53 68.94.156.11

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.