Helpful Links

Cannot get my ethernet to work on Mac Mini

Contributor

I had my router with AT&T Uverse (I got the Giga Service) moved, prior to that the Mac Mini was directly connected to the router (Model 5268AC) and worked fine. I connected directly to router again and it works. As soon as I connected it to the line in my office (router moved to another room, so connect via CAT5 cabling running thru the house, it does not work. It continuously blinks on and off in network settings. The ethernet line does works, because when I connect my pc laptop to it works fine. Wifi from the same router works fine on the Mac Mini. I took the Mac mini into the Apple store, they did diagnostics, and it was fine, and it connect to their ethernet fine. I think this is some IP Address issue, but nobody seems to be able to figure it out. Been on the line with Mac Support and AT&T Support a few times. I have changed ethernet cords and still does not work. Any help appreciated.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 3
Professor

Re: Cannot get my ethernet to work on Mac Mini

@nbkl125

I replied to your private message with this information:

"I have to assume that the Ethernet cable to your office was plugged into the same port of the 5268ac when you tested the Mac and the PC. With everything you have tried I feel it is the Ethernet cable.

The only real difference in your tests is the different Ethernet adapters between by Mac and PC. I suspect that either the Mac or the 5268ac has the Ethernet port set to 100 BaseT/Full Duplex and because of the cable issue is unable to establish a physical connection. With Auto-detect at both ends you should be able to connect but because of the cable issue, the speed or duplex will suffer.

Please confirm that the 5268ac ports and Mac are configured for Auto-detect or advise if they are something else; Settings/LAN/Wired Interfaces in 5278ac.

What's wrong with the cable? Hard to say but it could be a miss-wired plug or a wire that is not crimped properly into the plug. Another possibility is cable length or electrical noise."

Re: Cannot get my ethernet to work on Mac Mini

Agree with ApexRon, it is likely an issue with the cabling, most likely something in the connections at the wall plates.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support