Cannot connect smart tv to internet

Contributor

Cannot connect smart tv to internet

Have had my samsung smart tv since December 2012 and all has worked just fine.  We just left for vacation for 10 days came home and now my tv will not connect to the internet.  All of our other devices connect to the internet just fine, so definitely a problem with the tv internet only.  We received an update form uverse while we were gone and wondering if that has something to do with it.  anyone else have this problem?

Message 1 of 52 (72,978 Views)
Contributor

Re: Cannot connect smart tv to internet

I have the same issue on my samsung 7000 series.  Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a tech?  What are the steps if this can be done on my own?  Thanks!

Message 16 of 52 (70,181 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

tgrinstead - Message 12 above says change/edit the DNS server setting in the TV. In a computer this is done in the Network preferences section by overtyping and saving. Of course it is a good idea to write down the current setting just in case you want to change back.

If you post a specific model, I will see if the manual is available & I can give you anything more specific about changing the DNS. THe value 8.8.8.8. is for Google & what I use in my computer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 52 (70,167 Views)
Contributor

Aviewer

Thanks-figured it out and now I can connect to the internet (at least the connection shows as established)!  But now all of my apps are missing when I go to the smart hub and when I click on the web browser or other samsung items on the first page I just get a connecting circle and it never connects through.

Maybe I am still missing a step?

Message 18 of 52 (70,160 Views)
Contributor

i have had this same issue with my samsung smart tv ever since i switched my internet from cable to at&t every other device in my home would connect except my tv in living room.after countless hours on the phone with at&t and samsung blaming each other and me having to pay an additional $15.00 a month now for a service on my devices from a geek squad i do not want my problem still isnt fixed.i have just read this forum and i am going home tonight to try this fix with google 8.8.8.0 and see if it resolves my issue.if so i would love for anyone that reads this and knows anyone at at&t that i can actually speak with i would be very greatful for a phone number to call.

Message 19 of 52 (59,516 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

mhenson2010 - I believe there is another step - You have to ID USA as the country in the TV, I will see if I can find that thread.

Found it - check out post 6 in this thread - http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Samsung-Smart-TV-and-ATT-U-verse-seem-to-have-become/m-...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 52 (59,516 Views)
Contributor

I have no idea what that means. Do I need to buy a samsung usb lan adapter?

Message 21 of 52 (54,197 Views)
ACE - Expert

chapmanrev - What would you like to do??
Message 22 of 52 (54,185 Views)
Contributor

I have the same problem just spent an hour with an att tech.  Did not help me transfered me to someone who wanted $50 to try to fix it.  Your solution can I do it myself?  If so how?

Message 23 of 52 (50,037 Views)
Contributor

When connecting via network setting in on your samsung select manual input  and change the DSN to 8.8.8.8 This instantly fixed it for me.

My samsung tv is a 2011 or 2012... I can't remember

Message 24 of 52 (37,689 Views)
Contributor

Wonderful, thank you! I have a happy wife now. I am indebted to you beyond description. Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 52 (37,462 Views)
Tutor

Manually changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 worked for me - gave me Internet access in an instant!
Message 26 of 52 (37,420 Views)
Contributor

I've tried all of this, including manually changing the addres to 8.8.8.8 and no luck. Anyone else have any ideas???

Message 27 of 52 (34,752 Views)
ACE - Expert

Message 28 of 52 (34,718 Views)
Contributor

After 3 years using the Internet TV without any issue, I got the same issue posted here. I have ATT and I set-up the DNS of my Samsung Smart TV to 8.8.8.8 and miraculously, it worked!

Message 29 of 52 (32,622 Views)
Contributor

Kudos to the DNS 8.8.8.8 solution. This problem started happening within the year. I've had two modems replaced by AT@T. Maybe a push or two changed the DNS requirements. Again thanks.
Message 30 of 52 (31,971 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.