PlayDefense's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 5th, 2014 2:12 AM

Closed

Cancelling my service, first thing in the morning

I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive which I've been trying to set up for weeks.

I'm a Computer Science major and know what I'm doing.

Customer support was completely incompetent and nobody spoke proper English.

I simply need to set up port forwarding because Uverse is too primitive and unsophisticated to provide UPNP.

Why does Uverse restrict paying US customers from using network attached storage?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@PlayDefense wrote:

I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive which I've been trying to set up for weeks.

I'm a Computer Science major and know what I'm doing.

Customer supper was completely incompetent and nobody spoke proper English.

I simply need to set up port forwarding because Uverse is too primitive and unsophisticated to provide UPNP.

Why does Uverse restrict paying US customers from using network attached storage?

• If you had learned security in your CS courses, you would have learned that UPnP is a huge security hole waiting to have a truck driven through it.  I'm quite fine that the RG doesn't have it.
  • Customer service reps are trained to deal with issues that CS majors wouldn't need any help with, not truly technical issues.
  • We can help you set up port forwarding, if you're having issues making it through the menus.  Try us.  Post screenshots of what you're doing and tell us what's happening.
  • U-verse doesn't restrict any US customers from using NAS if they so chose
  • If you forgot what a security hole UPnP is, and you simply must have it, buy a < $50 router and connect behind your RG, put it in DMZplus mode and you can turn UPnP on for that.   See post 2 in this thread for help doing that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

• If you had learned security in your CS courses, you would have learned that UPnP is a huge security hole waiting to have a truck driven through it.  I'm quite fine that the RG doesn't have it.

Implicit in the fact that I mentioned I have a CS background, is the fact that I'm fine with the tradeoff of security for functionality. 

If you had learned basic logic through a human upbringing on planet Earth, you would have known that.

• Customer service reps are trained to deal with issues that CS majors wouldn't need any help with, not truly technical issues.

Unfortunately they are trained to do these things in languages that aren't English. Scripted responses do not constitute support, which conveniently is what you're giving me right now.

If you're calling me out on my degree you can stop cowardly hiding behind the veil of the internet and request to communicate with me privately.

• We can help you set up port forwarding, if you're having issues making it through the menus.  Try us.  Post screenshots of what you're doing and tell us what's happening.

This is a complete LIE.

After speaking with customer service, I was told by many representatives that I need to sign up for "Connect-Tech" service for 15 dollars a month, with a 12 month mandatory commitment. 

There are easier ways to let customers know that their network storage needs are hostage.

• U-verse doesn't restrict any US customers from using NAS if they so chose

You're right, they don't NEED to. However they are doing so anyways.

{keep it courteous}

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@PlayDefense wrote:

If you have nothing constructive to say, I suggest you keep your rants to yourself and RESPECT THE COMMUNITY RULES BY NOT TROLLING.

So someone with 2 posts is calling someone with 5,900+ posts a troll?  That's rich.  Smiley LOL

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@PlayDefense wrote:

If you're calling me out on my degree you can stop cowardly hiding behind the veil of the internet and request to communicate with me privately.

This is a complete LIE.

After speaking with customer service, I was told by many representatives that I need to sign up for "Connect-Tech" service for 15 dollars a month, with a 12 month mandatory commitment. 

There are easier ways to let customers know that their network storage needs are hostage.

Okay, you seem to be suffering under the misconception that I work for AT&T, which I do not.

I'm also not hiding behind anything, I'm just calling it like I see it and responding to a public post with a public post.

I understand that, yes, AT&T doesn't provide free support for setting up third party equipment with U-verse.  They do provide a paid support option that does, but I'd tell anyone the least bit technical to avoid it.

Finally, we (and by "we," I mean the U-verse user community) will (as we have many times) assisted users with configuring their RG and third-party equipment.  Search around the forums and you'll see that the statement is true.  There are more technical AT&T reps who also read and respond on these forums who will also provide best-effort help within these forums.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.