RD_S666's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Sunday, October 8th, 2017 1:31 AM

Can't host PS3 games or chat sessions online. Please help.

Not sure what topic this really goes under, but since about the middle of September, my PS3 consoles stopped allowing me to play certain games online. Specifically, I can't host game sessions. I can join other player's game sessions, I can sign into the PlayStation Network, browse the internet on the PS3, watch YouTube, etc., but I can't host co-op game sessions. I can't even host chat sessions on the PS3. It's been getting frustrating to have to tell my online friends that I can't invite them and that they have to invite me since I'm having internet problems. Every time I try hosting a game or a chat session, it takes forever to create the session and then comes back with the message "Failed to create session" or an error code/message (8002231D) "Connection to the server timed out" depending on the game. This happens with all of my Resident Evil games that have online co-op, as well as Soul Calibur V.

I have been with AT&T Uverse for several years using a wireless connection to play online games and I've never had an intermittent issue like this before. Again, this just happened abruptly around the middle of last month and it has remained this way ever since. I have a laptop that connects to the WiFi just fine.

One thing I know of is that I visited a friend's home and tested out hosting a co-op session from their ISP (They have Xfinity Comcast) and it worked perfectly!

I don't know what's been causing it, so I performed many troubleshooting steps in hopes of correcting the problem and nothing has worked.

I've contacted Sony PlayStation support about it, and after troubleshooting with them, they resolved that it was my ISP

I attempted troubleshooting with Capcom support which they also resolved was my ISP

I have tried setting up a static IP address or putting it into a DMZ.

I have attempted port forwarding.

I tried making configuration changes to the WiFi in the router via other forum posts

I have tried connecting my PS3 directly to the modem to rule out wireless interference

I have rebooted my modem.

I have even factory reset it.

I have contacted At&T technical support 3 times last month and they couldn't seem to help me. They once transferred me over to ConnecTech who only wanted me to pay them to get this issue resolved.

I tried AT&T support chat again just yesterday and they said they have detected an issue in the line, going on to say that it is related to the network and that they would send out a service technician to fix it. The technician was supposed to arrive between 4PM and 8PM, it is now going on 9:20 PM and no one has been here.

Is it possible that a line issue can simply prevent hosting online co-op sessions? Like I said, I can join other player's games, I can connect to the internet, use the YouTube XL, browse the internet and connect to the PlayStation Network just fine. I just can't host sessions. This is very annoying and I'm getting exhausted troubleshooting this every weekend I have off. It'd just be nice to enjoy my days off being able to play online.

It is my understanding that there's experts on this board that can possibly help with this problem, or can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting so I can contact AT&T support again.

Once more, I have AT&T Uverse, I have a NVG589 Arris Modem/Router, and I have two PS3 consoles that both can't host co-op game sessions online. I don't have TV or phone services through AT&T.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you so much for the update! That's very reassuring to have confirmation that the problem is recognized and being addressed. I'm jealous that you got a case number and I didn't ;), but I trust that you'll keep us posted. Or if you'd like some backup for the following-up process, feel free to share the case number with me and I'll be glad to assist.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Not a problem! Smiley Happy I'll definitely be sure to keep everyone up to date until this problem it's finally fixed and would greatly appreciate/encourage that everyone here also post what helped fix their issue should theirs get resolved before mine.

I decided to go ahead and follow up with AT&T support earlier this evening in contrast with the case number and the agent I got didn't seem to characterize much detail from my previous chat. It appeared as though the former agent made very little effort putting notes down in my account as I was told, so I guess the case number really isn't a factor anymore.

Anyway, the support agent suggested that I have my modem replaced. It's going to cost me $7, (though I find it silly I should be paying anything to fix something like this) but it's not a bad price if this works out in the end. I needed more information and for obvious reasons being that all prior troubleshooting steps have ruled out many potential problems in this process of elimination. Here is a snippet of my chat with the agent tonight:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agent : I understand your concern completely, yes is see that "bug" in the AT&T network was cleared.
Agent : I will send out a technician to your place to fix this issue once and for all and he will replace the modem. Do you agree and want to select an Appointment Window?
Me : A technician has already visited my home a week or so ago and told me he couldn't fix something like this.
Agent : Did he replace the modem?
Me : No. He only checked the modem and the router and said everything appeared to be working fine. He couldn't figure out what was causing the problem and couldn't offer any help. He never once mentioned that my modem may have needed replacing.
Agent : Alright. I will replace the new (latest) modem to fix this issue.
Me : What could be causing the problem in my modem?
Agent : It may be an issue with the software terminals inside the modem.

Me : What causes the software terminals to create something as subtle as not being able to "host" online co-op games?
Agent : Due to some power fluctuations the internal software may lose the nano terminals which helps the modem to host the games. So this new modem will support all the game consoles and also this modem will control all the power fluctuations, so that you will not face any issues in the future. Please be rest assured about it.
Agent : Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Me : Please be aware that I can connect my PS3 both wired and wirelessly with zero problems. I can join my friends' gaming sessions, sign into PlayStation Network, browse online, etc., but can not host my own games or chat sessions. Again, everything else on the PS3 connects to the internet just fine, but when I try to host a game in order to invite a friend, it always fails to connect.
Agent : I understand that completely, the same thing happened to my neighbor recently our AT&T agent had replaced the modem and his issue was fixed
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Either the bug still remains, or it's completely nonexistent at this point. Furthermore, it leaves me doubting whether or not there's really a problem going on in AT&T's network. I've mentioned in one of my above posts that I felt I've been getting the runaround, so I'm doubting this as well, but out of the many agents I've spoken with, they all seem to keep coming back with the same solutions and many of those solutions are across the web on various forums where people have had success with

-Factory resetting their modems

-Changing their WiFi password

-Turning off Media Sharing in their game consoles

-Turning off their router firewall

-Creating a brand new PSN account

-Port forwarding

-DMZ

-Connecting directly to their modem

-Assigning static IP addresses to their game console/router

-Having technicians come to their homes and/or ultimately replacing their modem.

The latter of all the above is the only thing I have not yet tried and so the agent already placed an order for me, adding that my new modem will be arriving in the mail in 2-3 business days. I'm really not sure what to do if this replacement doesn't help, but I figured it was worth a shot since all else failed. Now, because of my doubting over it being an AT&T network issue, a new question arises: Is it possible there's a major coincidence going on here? Could it be possible that all of our modems simultaneously went bad with their "software terminals"?

Just to put it out there--I've had my current modem for 3 years, so we'll see how this new modem goes...

I'll post back after I've tested it and on the same day it arrives.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Well, I got my new modem today, hooked it up and whaddya know--absolutely NOTHING at all. What a complete bummer and a waste of $7 (I have a paper trail if the $7 thing turns out to be a lie). This was a last resort and now all of my troubleshooting options are spent.

I've been going around and around with AT&T and they can't seem to help unless I pay for their advanced technical support team "ConnecTech" subscription to get the issue fixed at either $15 a month for 12 months, or some kind of $49 One Time support subscription thing... I almost considered taking one of these options, but I just can't pay out money to get something fixed that was originally available at no extra cost. All ISPs are like this and that is why it was a fully functioning feature on Xfinity at my friend's house.

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

6 years ago

I am also one of the people who have has had this problem too. I usually play on 2 Video Game Systems PS4 and PS3, Yeah for some reason it's weird why it does not let Users host games using AT&T U Verse on PS3 anymore. Because whenever I play on the PS4 everything works fine and smooth (It lets me host games using a internet connection from AT&T). In My area theres is only 2  Internet Providers.. Windstream Communications and AT&T U-Verse. But the problem is I've had Windstream before and their Internet Service is a lot more terrible. However my at my friend's house they have Windstream and my PS3 works fine over there too (It lets me host games and Create Text chats on PS3). But I'm just hoping this bug/glitch gets fixed soon hopefully. I'll keep you guys updated too on this post. 

Thank You 

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for letting us know and we will appreciate any updates should they arise!

If I read this correctly, you said that your PS3 online game hosting/text chats work with different internet service provider, but not with AT&T. What makes this particularly interesting is that you said your PS4 will allow you to host online games through AT&T. This is definitely very strange. I am inclined to try and look into this, so I appreciate the information very much.

I'd really hate to think that AT&T would just stop supporting PS3 for whatever reason.

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

6 years ago

Yes that's correct! 

My PS3 Online Gaming Hosting/ Text Chat only works with a different Internet Provider but not AT&T. But something that I think it's also kinda weird is that whenever I take my PS3 to my friend's House they have Windstream Communication ( It is also a DSL Provider). Their Internet Speed is 6 Mbps from Windstream (and yet their Internet works fine for hosting on PS3) , but ours is 45 Mbps from AT&T (and still it does not work at all for Hosting) . But yeah I feel the same way to think that AT&T would stop supporting PS3 for whatever reason. I've actually had Windstream internet service before and honestly their service is a lot much more worse and more outages happen compared to AT&T. I just hope they fix this bug soon one day on PS3 or if AT&T can just support this stuff again. 

Thank You 

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Well, between AT&T and Windstream, what you've explained should rule out internet speed being the issue for online game hosting. It's unfortunate having frequent outages with another internet service provider, and as a gamer, I'd most likely prefer this over an ISP that would just stop supporting online PS3 game play altogether.

Speaking of that, this has got to be a major problem if this has been going on for over a month, right? Many people seem to have graduated to the PS4 since it came out, thus either not many AT&T customers are complaining because they're unaware of it (since they're possibly more occupied with their PS4s), or this problem is the first of its kind.

I'd like to think that AT&T would get pretty much get any issue fixed as soon as possible, but their quality of customer service has declined greatly over the years I've had them. This could be the reason it's taking so long to fix a bug, granted it really is a bug. I may attempt to troubleshoot everything again to make sure I did them correctly and then contact their support. Maybe I should try going over standard support and speaking with a manager or possibly their corporate office, if any, to get answers because technical support doesn't seem to know what's going on (or they do and they won't admit it). I have a busy week ahead of me, but I will get back with everyone when I can.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Try changing the WPA encryption on your wifi. I can't remember if was TKIP or AES but I think it was TKIP that fixed this issue for some. Either way it's worth a shot. 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

6 years ago

This issue has been happening to me with Ace Combat Infinity cant create rooms, it all started after the hurricane hit Texas, my speed was not what I was paying for and they had to do something to their system to get it back to speed. My speed is fine and after all the usual fixes, port forwarding, ect up to and including a new router, the problem persists. I am going to contact ATT support and give them this topic, so they can get their ducks in a row and fix this issue. I think they forgot to connect a wire in Texas LOL 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

6 years ago

contacted att support this evening they will kick it up the ladder, and get back to me. Will update this if they actually do anything, I do believe they will just how soon who knows lol

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.