rpiplica's profile

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

Sunday, July 20th, 2014 7:29 PM

Can I setup my ASUS RT-AC66U with my Pace 5031NV to handle my Lan and Wirless?

I have a Pace5031NV Gateway that was installed over the weekend. I have a Asus RT-AC66U router I would like to use for my Lan and Wireless traffic and just use the Pace as a modem basically or access point. Has anyone had success getting this working. I don't like the Wireless Range on this Gateway already. Can anyone provide some straight forward instructions for doing this. It seems like it is possible just don't have time to keep poking around to get it working. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

The problem now is that both your computer and the router think that address is a local address (i.e. on the same subnet) and doesn't need to be routed.  So, your PC asks the LAN for a computer to respond to that address and no one does.  Your PC doesn't send it to the router, since its own IP and the destination IP match after being ANDed with the netmask.  

When you set your LAN with a different IP, then your PC will say "that's not on my LAN" and will check its routing table for the LAN router to send it to.  Your PC won't have any specific routing entry for it, so it'll send it to the default router (your router), the same as it would any Internet address.  Your router will see that the destination address is adjacent (in fact, it just happens to be in its routing tables as its default router) and will send it on.  The RG will then recognize the packet as address to itself and process it.

I hope that made sense.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have setup NVG589 with Asus RT-AC66U as AP. There is no poking needed. Works fine when connected via ethernet.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I appreciate your response. I know this works I was asking for more of instructions on how the do this. I figure I would disable the wireless on the gateway and use the ASUS to do the wireless. I have not found a way to change the Gateway address so I guess I have to use the Network Addressing 192.168.1.x. I have not found a way to turn off the DHCP on the Gateway so as to basically use as a modem and handle all the addressing on the ASUS Router. I assume to go from the Ethernet port on the Gateway to the Internet port on the ASUS? I am not sure if I use a small range of DHCP address on the Gateway and the rest on the ASUS if that is going to work or cause issues. Any help with someone that has sucessfully done this and does not mind sharing the configurations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

You cannot turn off the DHCP on the Gateway.  If you want to use the routing functions of your router, then see post 2 in this thread for the basics.  On the other hand, if you just want the wireless functionality and a simpler network, see post 13 in this thread.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Looks like that person was using a 2 Wire Device. The Pace has a setting to add another router. Also that #2 post said to turn off the DHCP which as you said is not possible on the pace router. I will try to use the Add Router Mode and give it a low number Static IP while setting a small DHCP range on the Pace since it will not be issuing IP adresses anyway. This person also was talking about using Ethernet port to Ethernet port. Could I not use the Internet port on the ASUS as to keep all 4 ports on the ASUS for my devices/switches?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Nowhere in Post #2 does it instruct you to turn off DHCP.  It says you may statically configure the IP of the WAN interface of your router to the IP address assigned to it from the RG via DHCP in the event your router cannot deal with the DHCP renewal problems that the 2WIREs sometimes have.

In Post #13 it tells you to turn off the LAN side DHCP of your router.

While these posts were written based on the 2WIRE RG's, the principles are the same with the Motorola/Arris devices.  The PACE devices are the 2WIRE devices, the company just got bought.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for all your help, I got this working after a bit of tweaking.

I have one more question. Everything plugged into the ASUS Router is working fine. I made a small DHCP Range on the Pace Gateway turned off Wireless and am letting the ASUS do Wireless and DHCP.

I can not log into the Pace interface anymore from the machines plugged into the ASUS Router. I also can not ping the Pace Gateway 192.168.1.254 from the ASUS. The LAN network addressing on the ASUS is 192.168.1.x so I think they are on the same network. The only way I can access the Pace Gateway is to hard wire a machine into the Pace Machine and use the 192.168.1.254.

It is not a huge deal but it is a pain to make any changes to the Pace Gateway. Any ideas would be helpful.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

It sounds like you have given the same subnet (192.168.1.x) to the LAN side on the RG and your router.  This means that the LAN side of your router cannot direct traffic to the RG to be routed there.  You can change the IP subnet for the LAN side of either of the router or the RG to resolve that for devices on the LAN side of your router to get to the RG and devices attached to it.

Unfortunately, there's no way to set up a routing table in the RG to tell it to route the other subnet to your router.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

So if I change my RG Lan addressing to 192.168.2.x it will allow me to get to my Gateway from my Asus Router. Would that not make it harder since they are on another Network?

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks very much that makes so much sense. I changed my Asus Router address to 192.168.2.1 and I can get to my Pace RG now. Thanks very much for your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.