Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I replace the AT&T-supplied NVG 599 modem router with my own?

Contributor

Can I replace the AT&T-supplied NVG 599 modem router with my own?

I have AT&T DSL internet with an Arris AT&T Uverse Gateway Modem Router NVG599 that I must rent from AT&T.  I found the same modem/router on the internet for a reasonable price including power cord.  Can I just replace the modem and contact AT&T or is their more to it.  AT&T says you must use their modem/router.  Is that true?

[Title edited to reflect new topic.]

Message 1 of 5
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎04-11-2017 3:35 AM

Re: Can I replace the AT&T-supplied NVG 599 modem router with my own?

Did you read your Terms Of Service agreement?

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.internetAttTermsOfService.html

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. This is a binding agreement between you (the Member Account holder) and the AT&T entity that provides the Service [1]. Your registration, payment for, or use of the Service constitutes your agreement to be bound by the charges, terms, and conditions set forth in this Agreement, including those incorporated by reference into this Agreement.

6. Payment

You agree to pay in full each month: (1) the monthly fee specified when you ordered your Service; (2) any charge(s) for equipment required for your Service; (3) activation fees, connection and/or installation charges, if any; (4) late fees, Service restoration fees, and other applicable Service charges; and (4) any applicable taxes, recovery fees and surcharges that AT&T pays to municipalities and other governmental entities and may pass on to you. For a list of additional fees that could apply to the Service, please see Schedule 2 (Consumer Fee Schedule) or Schedule 3 (Business Fee Schedule), which are incorporated by reference.

. If you have not purchased Internet Equipment from AT&T or if previously purchased Internet Equipment is beyond the one (1) year warranty period (from date of installation) and requires replacement, then you agree to pay a monthly equipment fee for the Internet Equipment, as part of your purchase of or continued use of the Service and/or other AT&T services

In other words, you may acquire a different gateway that may work with the service but that does not release you from paying the ATT equipment fee to provide support for your account. To have no fee, is to have no service.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Why won't AT&T let customers use their own modem? I realize this means internet problems are now the responsibility of the customer, but many of us prefer to buy our modems and not rent them in order to save money over the long term. 

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

You can purchase a cell phone but not the internet module (BOX).?  Hummmmmm

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Associated Member

Well for one, its cheaper, the cost of purchased RG's was 150$ IIRC, now, the equipment fee I think is 10$ a month, so 120$ for the time the warranty for purchased equipment is.

Now combine that with a possible tech dispatch to replace it if it goes bad outside of its warranty, so 150$, you get 300$, which would mean you would need to rent the equipment for 2.5 years before it would cost less to have purchased the equipment.

Then there's also that a cellphone will work on any network. The RG, it wont work on anything except for uverse services.

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support