mienhmario's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 10:27 PM

What is the best modem for AT&T Fiber?

I am new to ATT fiber and I got the internet 1000 plan. The technician installed a modem/router: ARRIS BGW210-700. Personally, I switched from Comcast and ARRIS is known as complete garbage over there. Can anyone recommend me a WAY better modem/router than this garbage? 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

So there is no other way to get a third party modem w/router for fiber connections?

i want to avoid putting a router behind att fiber modem...jus a single third party equipment that does both modem/router for fiber connections. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

No.  The att gateway has authentication firmware which is required.  There's probably other special firmware as well but att never documents their stuff.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

You can use the pass through method (google that with the arris model name) and it works fine as it public faces your own router to the internet.  One big drawback is that using this modem limits you to 8192 total sessions on your nat table.  In a soho or extra large family this could cause an issue.  Work arounds I found here and a more in depth explanation of the issue.   https://geekzweb.com/2019/06/10/bypassing-arris-bgw210-700-pfsense-netgraph/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.