For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dicchicora's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, December 18th, 2016 5:23 PM

Belkin Battery Backup and Gateway

Am I able to request a new gateway/modem?  I still have the original equipment when I purchased uverse 8 years ago.  Just last month my DRV finally died and now the Belkin battery backup is dying every other day.  I don't want to buy a battery for it and I do not have VOIP service.  So, I'm reading that I don't need the battery backup anymore.  Therefore, can I call AT&T and have them send me a replacement modem?  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

7 years ago

Call CS and request a new RG.  Explain your situation.  I've replaced my original RG w/BBU with an NVG599 (internal BBU).  My BBU never died...just the RG so I don't remember the power cord logistics.

If you do manage to get a new RG, remember to return the original within 21 days.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

7 years ago

Are you having issues with your modem?  The new modems have an internal BBU pocket but they do not come with a battery.  You must purchase one (around $30 online).

If you don't have Uvoice, then just remove the BBU and plug you RG (modem) directly into a wall outlet.  It is recommended to NOT use a power strip w/the RG.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

No, no issues with the modem, just the battery backup.  However, I do not have the original power cord for the gateway, just the battery backup.  So, I need a power cord for the gateway and I'm not sure if that's something I can just get anywhere.  That's why I thought I'd try and get a new gateway first.  Any suggestions would be helpful because the battery backup dying is really annoying, especially when you're watching TV.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Excellen!  Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The single specification that I cannot find for these internal backup batteries is the backup time which is provided, specifically for the Arris NVG599 (U-VERSE) network interface device.  I am using an APC unit to power the NVG599, but when the APC unit is depleted, just exactly how much additional time will we get with the Arris internal backup battery?  From my searching, the WiFi is disabled when on the internal battery backup - so do we get 1 hour?  Six hours?  Twelve hours with minimal or no VOIP phone use?  Thanks.

Arris NVG599 Internal battery SKU: 586185-002-00

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

The BBU in the 599 will only power Uvoice (VOIP).  So the answer would be for internet, you get NO hours.  Trust me....been there, done that.  My power went out and I was surprised when I had ONLY phone service with the 599.

I wouldn't count on more than 4 hours for Uvoice. 

The newest RG (BGW210) doesn't have a BBU at all.  I guess they figure everyone has a cell phone now.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.