btedder's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, March 25th, 2019 10:01 AM

Being Charged A Montly Fee For New Equipment. I Was Told There Would Be No Additional Charge For

I contacted Customer Service to see what modem/router might be available for purchase as the NVG510 I have had for many years is failing.  I was told that a new one would be provided free of cost (see the relevent chat transcript below).  I have since received a notice that I will be charged an additonal $7.00 a month for "Equipment Fee".  I do NOT want the equipment if I am to be charged an additional monthly fee.

We have an advaned router for your account, which is dual band (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) and connects with all latest types of devices and has excellent wifi compatibility. There is no additional charge for this router/modem.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Unless on a promo everyone pays that equipment fee, i.e., you are leasing the gateway.  You may have not been paying it when you bought yours years ago but a few years back the terms of service changed so that any change to your account (replace equipment, change services, whatever) automatically triggers that fee.  You would now have to take it up with billing, tech support, whatever, not really sure, to cancel the replacement.   But...

FWIW, being paranoid and att being att, I can't help but wonder now, since the order was placed and tripped the equipment fee charge, whether you can even get the fee removed at this point.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.