GPM75070's profile

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

Saturday, June 20th, 2015 3:52 PM

Battery for battery backup questions

I had the Uverse triple play installed in March with the 3801 and battery backup for the phone. Several weeks ago we had a power outage that lasted a couple of hours but the battery back up lasted maybe 15 minutes. The other night we had three "flickers" where the power went out momentarily and immediately restored. Now I am getting the blinking red light to replace the battery. So my two questions are:

1)  How long should the battery last during a power outage?

2)  How long should it be before the battery needs replacement? This seem waaaay too soon to me (just over 3 months!)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

986 Messages

9 years ago

These 12V/7.2Ah batteries inside the Belkin units should last a few years depending on how many charge discharge cycles they have been through and to what level they were discharged before being fully charged again.

If the battery was allowed to run flat and then not recharged for an extended period that was drastically reduce the life of the battery.

If you feel so inclined, disconnect the BBU from the mains open it up and check the date on the battery. It's possible you may have received a BBU with an old battery installed.

Either way the BBU should still be under warranty. See this link for further information

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409162&cv=814

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

9 years ago

The battery should supply power for about 4 hours during a power outage.  Please see the support article below for more information:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB407650

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

9 years ago

Called on Monday and set up an appointment for this afternoon, Wednesday. Technician came out and ended up replacing the entire unit. So all is good in that regard.

However, talk about inefficiency.This work order was created two days earlier and when the tech showed up he didn't have a battery nor a BBU with him. One would think for service calls like this the tech would have the parts or parts that would likely fix the problem before he shows up. He had to call other techs in the area to see if someone had one, then, luckily, one of the others fairly close by (30-40 minutes round trip) had one and he picked it up. The service call could have been completed in 15 minutes and not the hour of his time and gas expenses etc. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

WARNING TO ALL WHO STILL HAVE BELKIN UPS BATTERIES:

My UPS battery recently failed.  (AC power was fine)  Within 10 minutes of the failure warning I began to smell the odor of burning electrical.  When I unplugged the unit it was smoking and extremely hot to the touch.  Had I not been there it would have caused a fire.  I will be purchasing a simple power adapter cable (3 amps at 12VDC)

NO MORE BELKIN BATTERIES!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I can't get anyone from U-Verse to take responsibilty for the Belkin battery failure nor to provide instructions on how to replace the battery if I decide to pay the $129.99 for a new one. This is beginning to make Time Warner look better.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Freqmgr   http://www.belkin.com/us/gatewaybattery/

😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Employee

• 

78 Messages

8 years ago

If you want to keep your bbu, take it to a battery place near you. The battery in it is standard size a good battery store should be able to get you a replacement. In my area the battery runs about $25

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.