Explore & discover

Helpful Links

BGW210 IP Passthrough mode enabled?

Highlighted
Teacher

BGW210 IP Passthrough mode enabled?

I was considering putting my BGW210-700 in to bridge mode so I could use my own router for allocating IP addresses and to configure port forwarding.  I reviewed the steps shown to configure to bridge mode in a youtube video.  I thought I would look at my gateway so I knew where those settings were BEFORE I actually made any changes.  To my surprise Allocation Mode was set to Passthrough and Passthrough Mode set to DHCP-Fixed.   I did not expect this.  I expected something else because I am still using the BGW210-700 as my gateway as a modem and router.

I will say up front that I do not know what this should or should not be while in gateway mode.  Please let me know.

2019-04-12_6-32-52.jpg

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 20
Professor

Re: BGW210 IP Passthrough mode enabled?

You are not in ip passthrough yet. 

You have to select a device in the MAC address passthrough box and save. 

Then you will turn off WiFi in the gateway and on in your router. 

Message 2 of 20
Teacher

@browndk26 

Thanks for the clarification.  So, nothing to worry about.  I was thinking I was halfway between running as a gateway or in passthrough mode and may some sort of security concern.

Can you tell me the difference between "Bridge Mode" and "Passthrough Mode"?

I have my own router which I find more configurable as compared to the BGW210.  Hence reading about these modes.

Message 3 of 20
ACE - Professor

@SJMaye61 

Att doesn’t support true bridged mode so you’ll have to settle for ip passthrough.  

The screenshot you provided shows an active session.  The MAC address you ghosted should be one of your devices. I’d be surprised if att gave you that device and wasn’t already factory reset.  

If for some reason that isn’t your config, I’d go ahead and start fresh with a factory reset and then configure the screen just as you showed it above selecting your router as the target device.  

75/20 Mbps VDSL2 connected Arris BGW210 gateway in IP Passthrough to Orbi RBK50 in Router mode

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 20
Teacher

I am not ready yet to go to the passthrough mode.  I thought about doing just what you were saying- do a factory reset and see how everything operates. 

I had thought that bridge mode and passthrough were the same thing.  What is the difference?

Message 5 of 20
ACE - Professor

I don't have access to the specs for how Arris implemented IP passthrough, but the connection is not completely transparent from the gateway . What you do get is avoidance of double NAT that you would otherwise have to tolerate.  

75/20 Mbps VDSL2 connected Arris BGW210 gateway in IP Passthrough to Orbi RBK50 in Router mode

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 20
Teacher

I understand.  Thanks for the explanation, gr8sho.

Message 7 of 20
Teacher

@gr8sho 

"What you do get is avoidance of double NAT that you would otherwise have to tolerate. "

Part of the reason I have been exploring the Passthrough mode are network issues I am seeing while gaming.  Could the double NAT have anything to do with that?

Message 8 of 20
ACE - Professor

I reread your OP and see you’re possibly misunderstanding what these gateways do.   Allowing DMZ or IP passthrough doesn’t also mean you disable gateway mode.  The two can and do function together.  In the case of a VDSL2 connection, the gateway section converts the electrical signal received to the premises  into usable Ethernet.  In the case of a Fiber connection, the gateway device can be almost optional.  Also, the router function inside the device can also manage your U-verse TV hardware.  

If you want to replace the WiFi section of the gateway’s router function, that’s easily accomplished and is what many of us do.  

You’ll have to better describe what network issues you have, but double NAT is something I think of more as an efficiency condition rather than an issue. 

I’ve had many issues with these gateways that a factory reset doesn’t resolve.  Just flat out firmware bugs.  Which is a key factor in reducing the reliance on them.  

Fair warning though.  Just because you move to a different router doesn’t mean you get a pass on network issues.  All routers have problems of some form or another.  But you will likely find them to be more manageable.  

Message 9 of 20
Teacher

The gaming issues I am having is sporadic packet loss during game play.  Usually at the worst possible time.  The picture will just freeze for maybe a second.  I have a way to monitor the game network performance and the freezes directly correspond in a spike in packet loss.  It has always been there, but nearly as severe or as frequent.  The worsening seemed to relate to my recent PC upgrade; CPU, MB, RAM.  I cannot find anything there.  I then wondered if the AT&T BGW210 may be the problem.  Some folks on another forum tried to help me, but I am just not at their level of technical expertise with this stuff.

2019-02-13_8-07-07.jpg

Message 10 of 20
ACE - Professor

@SJMaye61 

I still think you should factory reset to rule that out, and also try connecting to the internet using your router connected in IP Passthrough .  Assuming you do the factory reset first, you'll then need to reconfigure IP Passthrough to set that up again.

However there may be more involved here than just the gateway.  My son also relies on more predictable internet performance and has started using NordVPN.  Apparently it has made a big difference for his gaming.

Message 11 of 20
Teacher

@gr8sho 

Speaking of NordVPN.   I have it.  When I tried to play while running their client some was really wrong.   Would not play well at all.  In fact it would not play well whether I was connected through Nord or not.   I had to remove it from my PC.  Nord showed me how to run it via  IKEv2/IPSec so I did not need their client.  Runs great this way.  Only issue is I have to manually connect each time it comes out of sleep.

I am not sure when I will get the time to do the reset of the gateway.  As soon as I do I will report the findings.

Message 12 of 20
ACE - Professor

It sounds like you may have a lot of customizations.  The closer you can keep to stock settings, the less painful a device reset will be.  It's actually not that much longer than cold start.  When I do it, I tend to be overly cautious and make sure every network device is offline and this is where the time sink usually happens.  I like to bring up devices methodically.

From my experience, once a router gets into a wonky state, it never recovers until fully reset.

Message 13 of 20
Teacher

No customizations unless you call port forwarding a customization.  In an attempt to eliminate the packet loss I was trying everything.   I forwarded the ports related to the game.  I thought it helped, but now I have my doubts.  A reset would be no problem by me.

Message 14 of 20
ACE - Professor

Yeah, anything you have to change would count.  It is possible in some cases to use the gateway using all default settings, but oftentimes some adjustments are needed.  

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support