EspElement's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 2:46 PM

What is the bgw210-700 port forwarding vpn passthrough?

I need help, I just got your service and I have been pulling my hair out on how in the world to get my router to work behind this modem/router. I have configured IP Passthrough and have now disabled the AT&T normal WiFi. I got it all working well for my home network. Issue I have now is, I cannot find a way to forward ports to allow connections thru putty, HTTP and VNC from outside the local network. I have the ports forwarded on my router, but using the public IP to get there doesn't work.

I feel like the Cascaded Router option is maybe where I need to go, but I cannot seem to get it to accept the numbers I am giving it.

I have been really upset about this setup, it has not been a good start for me and AT&T. I just left Charter but may consider moving back next year if I cannot get this resolved.

Thank you

Joshua

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

I did in order to make it work... I will try but I wasn't able to SSH
without forwarding it on that page.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

FYI:  Found this after having same issue. 

Google Chromecast 2nd Gen and Google Cast Apps totally kills AT&T U Verse network (affecting many users), Arris BGW210-700 Gateway router death by a 100,000 MDNS packets both wifi and wired  connections droop forcing reboot to re-sync. The issuse has be ongoing since sometime November of 2017. I have had 5 AT&T techs come out to the house to no avail.

Note stability has improved over time but issue has not been fixed.

- I am in the Preview Program, Google Play Services beta.

So this morning I unplugged my ChromeCast, and the BGW210 network immediately crashes. Long story short I strongly suspect it's Google Apps that Cast, Google Home, YouTube etc. So I took both android Phones off the wifi network. Network stability has improved. I noticed connectivity would often drop whenever I would wake phone while connected to wifi BGW210 wifi radio may be buggy, as other AT&T users have noted, only to be compounded by Chromecast MDNS packets.

Think this is happening with all Google devices not just phones.

Scholar

• 

91 Messages

6 years ago

For full passthrough you need to not only enable the passthrough function in the gateway but also disable everything in the firewall advanced tab (or as much of it as it will allow).  Also delete everything under the packet filter tab and nat/gaming.

Under passthrough mode make sure dhcps-fixed is selected and your down stream router's mac is defined as the target.

This will then pass the public ip down to the wan port of your router. This is where you open up any port forwards or other inbound access.  Bear in mind certain ports are blocked by the att network - see this link http://about.att.com/sites/broadband/network .

Your downstream router should *NOT* be getting a 192.xx ip on its wan port.  If it is, recheck the pass through settings in the gateway.  You should be seeing your public ip (107.xxx or).  WIth the 192.xx ip that means you have a double nat arrangement and the gateway is still doing filtering.

Note, since version 1.5.xxx firmware, dhcps-dynamic passthrough mode is broken and passes a 192.xx ip even to the first device to perform a dhcp request.  Use fixed mode instead.

Finally, for security purposes I'd suggest using a certificate based authentication if you're going to allow remote ssh access.  Have you considered setting up a vpn server for more flexibility in remote access?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi. I am having the exact same issue. I have setup BWG210 in IP Passthrough mode and turned off all other firewalls functions in BWG210. I can see my external IP address as the WAN IP in my ASUS RT-AC88U router. Port 443 amount others are forwarded. When I try to ping them using canyouseeme.org all the forwarded ports come back as failed. All other internet functions are working. Even my son's XBox which also requires forwarded ports is working fine with XBox Live. But fore some reason I cannot connect to web server running on my internal network from outside my network. Inside my network I can connect to server with no problem when using my external IP https://myipaddress. Spent 10 hours on the phone with TechConnect and they couldn't figure it out either. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

IPPT.PNGIP Passthrough SettingsDHCP.JPGDHCP Settings 

Andrew J

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks Andrew.

Just think it's a problem AT&T should be correcting. Not only that I pay for a static IP.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

gran. Totally agree. Not only that now I am paying $15 month ($180/year) for TechConnect and I they can't fix it either. Need to call and try and cancel, but I am sure I will just get the run around and have to spend 3 hours on the phone again... Don't have time right now. 

Hoping someone in the community can help me. The only thing I haven't tried is the Manual IP Passthrough mode. I currently have it set to DHCPS-fixed using my ASUS routers mac address (see post above). The one example where I see that someone go Port Forwarding to work with a Gagabite/Fiber installation is where he used the Manual Mode. Unfortunately I cannot find any documentation on how to setup my ASUS router to make this work.Plus not real sure how Manual Mode differs from DHCPS-fixed and if it even makes a difference. Might try this weekend to see if I can get Manual Mode to work as a last ditch effort.

Andrew J

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

@AJ1323, did you try this configuration

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/How-to-put-the-Motorola-NVG589-in-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/m-p/5504661#M27602

posted above?  If so, what happened when you tried it.  You need to reboot both devices (Gateway and Router) after setting it up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

set outside port to something like 2222 then forward that to your ssh port inside  that should resolve the issue

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The worst company I have ever seen.

3 times installation app never showed up?!

they r sooooo bad

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Hello, I am to having the same problem with an ASUS RT68 behind a BGW210. Cant get my Blue Iris can software to work, Plex, etc. IP Passthrough is enabled DHCP-fixed with my router’s Mac and my router has the public WAN IP address. I’ve reset both devices and reconfigured multiple times. I have a DHCP address reservation for my server in the ASUS and the right ports forwarded. The crazy thing is none of my port forwards work but Munich OpenVPN server on the ASUS is accessible so the only current way to access my cameras outside of my home is by logging into the ASUS Router VPN first. This is the most frustrating networking issue I’ve ever dealt with.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.