BarefootUser's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, December 21st, 2017 11:53 PM

Closed

BGW210-700 Constant Connect/Reconnect

Recently had AT&T come out for new installation. Used existing router and was having sporadic issues until it died about 2 weeks later. Yesterday, technician installed new BGW210-700, however, since installation, we are constantly being disconnected and reconnected using wifi. 

I have tried several different channels avoiding those used around me, have also changed from 2.4 Ghz to 5.Ghz with same issue. We never had this issue with the older router even when the speed was flaky just recently and even at previous home in 9 years.

Have tried rebooting router, rebooting devices, forgetting networks on devices and setting up again.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm so relieved I'm not alone, but hate you're going through this too. We just got this same router two weeks ago and it constantly disconnects. My wireless plugs (WeMo), Amazon Alexas and wireless printer constantly disconnect. 

I've tried adding each devices' MAC address to the router's "white list" - which works initially, then it disconnects overnight. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Hey, I'm having the same problem, except that it seems to bounce around between devices.  While I'm sitting here, I have a laptop that's disconnected twice in less than an hour, a phone that won't connect and another laptop that's currently connected.  All of these devices were connected yesterday.  

Hey AT&T - this feels too much like the crappy performance I got from the Netgear modem for my DSL service.  I fixed that by switching to an Actiontec modem.  Please don't tell me I'm going to have to find a modem replacement for this thing. 

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

Yep, the wifi on the BGW210 is crappy. They replaced my 5268AC with one after my 5268 went out and nothing would stay connected. At first I was able to change the "both" setting for WPA to WPA2 only and that seemed to help for a while. Then it started all over again so I turned off 5GHz and that seemed to help for a day or so then things started to disconnect again. I reached out to ATTCares via Twitter and after getting my name and account # I heard nothing else from them. I then contacted a local tech and he advised me that the BGW210 is about all they carry so that didn't work. Long story short, I finally purchased a Linksys router for about 80 bucks and it has been smooth wifi since. I hated to spend money to fix a AT&T problem but with 12 wifi devices in the house, it was almost a necessity. 

Funny thing is, I was actually trying to get a BGW210 and couldn't get one until the 5268 died and now that I finally got it, I can't get rid of it...go figure.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Which linksys?  Were you using Uverse (fibre) from ATT?  This sound eerily similar to my switch to an Actiontec router for DSL.  

As a small company tech guy who sells to big companies occasionally, this sound so (too) familiar.  The big company guys don't do their homework and they wind up with crap tech buying from someone who impresses them or blows smoke up their skirt.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

It's a Linksys AC1750 and so far it's been doing everything the BGW210 couldn't seem to do. I actually purchased a TP-Link first and it didn't go so well, mainly because the setup page didn't always respond when trying to access it, plus, it only had USB 2 and I planned on plugging my backup drive into it. The Linksys had USB 3 and I can get into it's setup very easy.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Hi, I just switched to ATT Uverse on 12/29/17 with the BGW 210.  For about 24h everything seemed stable.  About noon yesterday, a couple of my laptops, a desk top, an HP printer and a tablet all dropped off and couldn't back on even though the network was visible with good signal.  I called tech support and they did a reset which took care of the problem for a few hours and then same thing happened.  My installer had mentioned having a sonos router close by could cause problems so I turned that off. Still same problems.  I used an android wifi analyzer and looked at the channels.  I locked in the BGW210 to 2.4 channel 11 and again everything seemed ok for a while.  What I began to notice my moto z, ipad mini and pixel xl never dropped.  The devices that dropped off and couldn't get back on (windows gives message - cannot connect to network)  were all 2.4Ghz wifi cards.  Also the problems come after devices go to sleep.  So today I disabled the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz on the BGW210and put my own wifi router set as access point behind the BGW210. So far so good for a few hours.  When everything works, I have speeds of 25 down and 6 up with no problem.  From reading the boards, looks like the BGW210 is a dud.  Hope this will be fixed. 

Before this my cable modem, wifi router, sonos, roku and chrome were all in close proximity without problems

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

natrat, that's almost my exact experience, I actually thought I fixed the problem when I set it to WPA2 only instead of both, but that fix only lasted a short while. Disabling this and that seems to work for a short time before a problem crops up. The deciding factor for me was my wifi printer and smart TV refusing to connect to it, no matter what I did.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I had a BGW210-700 replaced b/c the first one had the known issue where it died after upgrading the firmware.  The replacement seemed ok for about a week, but now I noticed the exact same issue people are describing in this post.  Devices are constantly (multiple times a day) disconnecting from wifi, or if they are connected to the wifi there is an issue getting out to the internet.  I've experienced this across 2 different mobiles phones (moto x and samsung s7), 2 different Amazon 2nd Gen Firesticks, a Samsung tablet.  I have to either reboot the equipment or the BGW210 to get the devices reconnected.  I do have a couple Lenovo laptops that don't seem to have the issue

- I've reboot my BGW210, and that doesn't really help.

- I've factory reset my BGW210, and that helped for about a day.

- I've changed the channels that the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are on that didn't help. 

It seems that the BGW210-700 is a poorly made piece of equipment.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Having the same issues, with just the 2.4 band.  Installed in new construction on 11/1/17, no neighbors nearby so channel congestion is not a factor.  Worked great for 3 weeks then every 10-12 hrs the 2.4 band 'fails' and I have to either do a power cycle on the router or restart via the web interface.  5ghz band is flawless but several of my devices only recognize 2.4 network.

After multiple calls with ATT and remote fix attempts, a technician came out yesterday.  I told him the problem and he said "the only thing I can do is replace the modem/router with another Arris BGW210-700.  Less than 12 hrs later and we're in the same place.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I just switched to AT&T from Cox, had the BGW210-700 installed yesterday and have had various devices (Canary, Chromecast, and Firestick) disconnect twice already, and had to reboot the router to get them reconnected.  It looks like using my old Cisco/Linksys router as an A/P is a popular remedy. It sounds pretty straight forward..   Any suggestions? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.