rearnold864's profile

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 5:43 PM

BGW-210 Gateway

I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck getting AT&T to upgrade their gateway. Right now I have the 5286AC which is OK but looking at a friends BGW-210, I can see that the BGW-210 has some advantages. The two 5268AC gateways I've had are terribly slow on bootup and both have flaky wifi.  I've seen where people call and after being told that they will be sent one, get the 5268 instead. 

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@rearnold864

These units have been rolled out en mass over the last couple of months so there should be plenty of them out there now and in warehouses where they can be shipped from. The trick is getting a competent CSR that knows how to enter the specific model of

gateway you WANT to receive, there are many reports of people calling in saying they request the BGW210 and they receive the same darn gateway they want to upgrade from!Man Frustrated

When you call ask the CSR if they can look at their screen and see if it allows them to specifically enter the type of gateway you want to have sent out. There should be this option on their screen, if the rep seems clueless keep calling back until you reach someone that knows more. NOTE THAT THEY MUST SEND YOU A GATEWAY RETURN KIT OUT FOR THE OLD PRODUCT. 

YOU TAKE THE OLD UNIT TO UPS WHERE YOU NEED TO GET A SIGNED RECEIPT FOR THAT UNIT...KEEP THAT RECEIPT FOR YOUR RECORDS!!!! DO NOT THROW IT OUT!!!! In the event that later on AT&T claims they never received your old unit back. 

BGW210 is a much better wifi product than any of the previous models especially the NVG599 which is pretty poor. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have upgraded my gateway a few times and the procedure that always works for me is to use the chat on att.com login to your account first and when you chat with them they will have all your account info, also ask for the  specific gateway you want.

IE: I would like to upgrade my gateway to the BGW210 gateway.

It's always been quick and painless for me, only takes about 5 mins and I'm done, they ship it overnight and I've always got the one I asked for.

Hope that helps you.  BTW hang on to your old gateway for a few days and make sure you like the new on, if not just take the new one to the UPS store and send it back instead of the old one.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

6 years ago

The BGW-210 seems to be pretty easy to get now. I tried once when it was new and was told it was only for FTTH users (I'm on 100/20 VDSL2). Then I tried again 2 months ago. I went through the online chat. I was having Wi-Fi issues on the 5 Ghz band with my 5268AC and wanted a replacement. I asked the chat rep kindly for a BGW-210 and told the rep they would make me a very happy customer if they could get me one. To my pleasant surprise a BGW-210 was sent to me through overnight shipping and arrived the next morning! No tech visit required.

However you may want to be aware that there has been a spike in reported failures of the BGW-210 over on on the dslreports.com u-verse forums. Quite a few users have said they had their 210 display all red lights on the status LED's and fail to boot requiring a replacement. A few techs have posted that they are seeing this frequently now, one tech said they had almost 10 customers in one day that had to have their 210 replaced because it died. Seems most people had their 210 about 2 months when it fails. Mine is exactly 2 months old now. I REALLY hope this is not a serious issue causing the 210 to be pulled, because its by far the best gateway so far. Noticeably snappier, and the Wi-Fi range is REALLY good.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks, I've been watching the thread on DSLreports and that has been some
concern. With the 5268, once a device drops off the 5 GHz the only way I
can get it back is by turning wifi off and on.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

I seem to have daily drop outs for my wifi (BGW-210).  I also can't configure it how I want it to be.  I really wish I could just have a modem and I'll take care of the rest.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

I got one from a tech the other day and like you the wifi was in and out. The fix for me was using WPA-2 only in the setup. The gateway defaults to both WPA-1 and WPA-2. If you go into the setup and change that it may help.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

Why would it use both?  The only way I can see that is if you are using WPA1 for 2.4GHZ and then WPA2 for the 5GHz, or vice versa (WPA1 for 5GHz and WPA2 for 2.4GHz).

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

Don't know the answer to that but the default is both. Once I changed it to
WPA-2 a bunch of problems stopped.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

You don't want the BGW-210. Mine was installed May 2017, and worked fine until the past month when the wireless kept dropping. Had to restart the BGW or restart the individual wireless radios to get it back. A real pain. Do a search on BGW-210 wireless problems.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

6 years ago

LOL, old news. I had to get the 5268 replaced for another reason, a burning smell and all the tech had were 210's. It was a nightmare from the beginning and AT&T support was useless on getting it replaced. After a week of misery I just bit the bullet and purchased a Linksys router. It wasn't something that I wanted to necessarily do and if AT&T would have owned up to the problem  wouldn't have had to. In the end it was probably a smart decision though, I have better wireless than I've ever had with the company junk plus the Linksys has usb support so my backup drive can be plugged into it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.