Darknessrise's profile

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 4:19 PM

Attenuator

How do you find one of these and what do they look like? I MUST have one on our line as our VRAD is on our lawn and our line goes directly towards the location of the VRAD. My stats are good but seem a little low for my listed distance on UV RT(Atleast I think lol). If I guesstimate our real distance is about 3 seconds of slow walking from the VRAD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

For people very close to the VRAD, an attenuator is usually installed inside the NID.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Somejoe, just so I don't have to create a new thread. Randomly someone in our neighborhood uses something that causes super wireless shutdown recently. My link speed jumps from 54 Mbps to 1 Mbps like a bouncy roller coaster during those rare times. My wireless channel is pretty clear except for that random crazyness.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

There are literally hundreds of devices that use the 2.4GHz band and can cause wireless interference. Baby monitors, wireless video transmitters, wireless speakers, microwave ovens, etc.

If you're getting that much interference in the 2.4GHz band, the only real solution is to purchase an 802.11n router with 5GHz capability and use the 5GHz band.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Hmm, I just noticed another AT&T box about 200 feet from our house on a pole. Could that actually be the VRAD lol? We have two cabinet like boxes on our lawn and that medium sized box on a pole a little down the street. What is whatSmiley Frustrated

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Darknessrise - You can google for VRAD pictures. In my area it is usually a refrigerator size tan box with a big stainless steel flexible cable protector. A small green bos on the next pole is used to make cross-connects. Some places have VRADs mounted on concrete pads. Or, the could be telephone line concentrators.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

I've never heard of a VRAD mounted off the ground.  The cabinet like boxes sound more like it.  About 3' wide, 2' deep and 4' tall (off-the-cuff numbers mind you) with a power meter on the side.  If you lived in the house when it was installed, you would have most likely seen them burying fiber to it about the time of installation.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

The 2 newer boxes they installed back in around 2007. Back in 2007 they dug it all up and put it on a block.

I figured the one on the pole looked similar to the size of : (But I didn't see if it had a meter, the front of it faces to the woods)

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Just went out to buy some corn & took a picture of a pole mounted VRAD to show Jeffer, It looks just like your picture. So, I won't post it. THey are all over CT like this.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

So is it a VRAD then O_O or is the one on our lawn the VRAD?

I am using Bing to look overhead at the boxes on our lawn(They're fenced off and has maniac trees blocking it) and it seems from above from a couple years ago there's a big white box in the back and a medium sized one in the front(Tan) if that helps :P.

I can't see but I assume it's like this photo from Google but I could be wrong.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Darknessrise - The one on the pole is definitely a VRAD. The one on the concrete pad could be, but I think it is a SLC cabinet (concentrates tel lines back to the CO)
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.