pryoidain's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 16th, 2013 10:49 PM

Another RG Question!

Hello!

First post in, and it's a bit complicated. Prior to U-Verse, I had comcast, which the internet is a modem and nothing else.

Here's my main network set up:

The Central Room in my house is a dual band wireless/gigabit router. Cat6A runs to each other room, and connects to an 8 port Gigabit switch. I had roughly 20 devices before the STBs came along, but I figured what the heck, and just plugged those into the switch.

Now, my personal router had a WAN address prior to U-Verse. After the installer left, I fiddled about, and now I have the closest thing to "Bridged" mode I think I am going to get. My router has a WAN address that was previously affixed to the router. It's in a DMZ+ zone, etc etc.

The STBs attach to the Switches. I've got different subnets to keep everything clean, and the STBs are on their own. DVR works, the ufix online client works (Reset signals work, it was able to scan everything, etc), everything seems peachy. I can even access the RG when needed. Picture/audio is fine, multi-recording is fine, each STB can watch from the DVR, etc.

However, I was trying to get ahold of tech support to talk to provisioning (I finally got through) but Mr. Automated Voice said there was a problem with my network that would require a tech. My question is..Is the at&t system upset that the RG isn't controlling everything? Is this set up alright? I know it sounds odd talking about a set-up that is working perfectly, but it did take quite a bit of fiddling and resetting to make the STBs happy, and that has me wondering.

If the STBs have to be connected directly to the RG to make all the automated systems happy, I would rather them be on HomePNA than connected to the RG via Cat-6a. I'm worried that would mess with the bridge mode.

I basically just need to check that the network setup is alright. I didn't have to modify anything hardware wise to get the setup, it was just software tweaks, but whenever I use the phone system now, it seems to take issue.

Completely un-related, is there any way I could get U-Verse to just give me a straight up modem? just some small little VDSL with dsl in and WAN out?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

No, the RG is for Uvoice/TV/internet users, a modem would not work.

First thing is to keep TV totlally separate from data/internet and has to come directly from the RG by coax or Cat5e or 6a.  TV can not go thru your router as it seems to as I inferred thru your post.   Possibly the reason Mr VA could not see the TV portion and called for a tech visit.

Here is a good tutorial how to set up a router behind the RG:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Using-my-own-router-is-this-possible/m-p/2558691#M21476 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Guru

• 

644 Messages

11 years ago

Welcome to the forums

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

@mibrnsurg, First off, thank you much. That was my worry. I recently downloaded UVRT, and I can't view -any- of the stream information, so that is exactly what the problem is. Seems like "It works" and "It works properly" aren't the same, haha.

Which brings me to two more questions (well, 3):

1. There seems to be a -LOT- of back and forth on the forums about HomePNA to STBs vs Cat to STBs. Is there a legitimate -better- option? If I'm going to have to run new cabling, that's not a problem, I just want to do it right.

2. My worry with running the STBs directly to the RG with Cat6A is that having them on the RG's switch would disable the "bridged" mode I have with my router (Switch port 1). Is that accurate? Or is the RG capable of separating the IPTV stream from the front facing router?

3. If the above is accurate (OR coax really is the best way to do this) my current idea would be to get the splitter DIRECT to the RG and run each STB on it's own line. What splitter should I get (If it's a matter of isolating splitters, I can drop in to comcast and grab one of their splitters), and I've gathered RG-6 with proper compression fittings is the best way to go.

I have provisioning rolling a truck this coming wednesday to check our VRAD, so I might be able to bug them to drop in, but I've ran plenty of cabling on my own. I just want to make sure that everything is compliant with AT&T so when I need support, everything works.

Completely unrelated side note: Is there a manual or what not on properly interpreting the bitloading graph in UVRT?

Thanks for all your help.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Disregard the last part, just found the UVRT manual. Googling is my friend. -_-;;

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@pryoidain wrote:

@mibrnsurg, First off, thank you much. That was my worry. I recently downloaded UVRT, and I can't view -any- of the stream information, so that is exactly what the problem is. Seems like "It works" and "It works properly" aren't the same, haha.

Which brings me to two more questions (well, 3):

1. There seems to be a -LOT- of back and forth on the forums about HomePNA to STBs vs Cat to STBs. Is there a legitimate -better- option? If I'm going to have to run new cabling, that's not a problem, I just want to do it right.

2. My worry with running the STBs directly to the RG with Cat6A is that having them on the RG's switch would disable the "bridged" mode I have with my router (Switch port 1). Is that accurate? Or is the RG capable of separating the IPTV stream from the front facing router?

3. If the above is accurate (OR coax really is the best way to do this) my current idea would be to get the splitter DIRECT to the RG and run each STB on it's own line. What splitter should I get (If it's a matter of isolating splitters, I can drop in to comcast and grab one of their splitters), and I've gathered RG-6 with proper compression fittings is the best way to go.

I have provisioning rolling a truck this coming wednesday to check our VRAD, so I might be able to bug them to drop in, but I've ran plenty of cabling on my own. I just want to make sure that everything is compliant with AT&T so when I need support, everything works.

Completely unrelated side note: Is there a manual or what not on properly interpreting the bitloading graph in UVRT?

Thanks for all your help.

1. My preference is go w/cat 5e or6a, coax (will supply the same signal as ethernet) is subject to many pitfalls that can bring pixelization, freezing and lack of service due to a bad coax cable and other problems. 

I'm personnally on cat5e from the Nid to the RG, then to my laptop and the DVR.   Not a single problem in more than 5 years on Uverse TV/internet.

2.  Best way to do it is take all the STBs and DVR out of that 8 port switch and get another 4 or 6 port gigabit switch (must have 802.1p) next to the 8 port switch to run TV into. 

That way you can leave the router and computers, games, etc connected to the 8 port switch.  Run another line to that 4/6 port switch from one of the RG's ethernet ports.  That way STBs/DVR are directly connected to the RG.;)

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.