rpiplica's profile

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

Friday, June 6th, 2014 4:43 PM

Am I able to program my U Verse Gateway for my home network?

How many local IP address are available ( I was told that I could only connect 10 devices) I have a home network with 15 devices and 8-9 of them are setup for Private Static IP addressing 192.168.2.x is this possible to do with this device. Is it possible to change the local address of the gateway. I have not been able to get an answer fom U Verse Support or Customer Service. I have tried 2 times and I am about to give up on getting this product and stay with my DSL. They do not understand what I am trying to do. SDH.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

What Gateway are they getting for you?  Are you just getting Uverse HSI or TV, HSI, or TV, HSI, and phone?  That determines which gateway you get.

I have the old 3800 and I have probably 30 to 40 devices that have been attached either hardwired or wireless.  The IP's on mine start at 192.168.1.63 and go to 192.168.1.252.  I continuously have probably 15 devices at a minimum connected.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I was planning on getting U Verse Internet and Voice only. I have Dish Network for TV and am very happy with it. I could even do without the Voice piece if I can get a Gateway that I can program. I have not ordered that service yet and they will not or can not tell me which Gateway I would be getting.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

It appears that all 3 services are available at my home TV, Internet and Voice. I believe that the max speed I can get here is 18Mbps at least that is my highest choice available, when I called in to get some preorder information she was configuring me with 12Mbps which is what would be my choice. So this being said am I going to have a Wireless gateway that I can customized to my current network configuration? I have a WIndows 8 server multiple workstations a Mac and some network printers that I have to keep with Local Static IP addresses. I don't live Live Static IPs. What is this I keep hearing about only being able to connect 10 devices? How is the wireless range on most of these devices. I don't use wireless much and prefer to use wired connections. My network is a mix of Gigabit Switches (3) and (2) Netgear Powerline Hubs that work well currently. I am fine with a tech install but want to be here when it is done. I will be purchasing the Gateway from ATT not leasing. Are Saturday installs available?

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

My last concern is about everytime I call for information I keep being told I can only connect 10 devices to the Gateway what are they talking about? Are they mixing up TV with internet. I am very confused.

I spent hours on the phone trying to get the information that I got from this forum in a few hours. I really appreciate your help and specifics on the equipment.

No offense but the Level 1 and 2 phone techs are not very technical in my experience. I have been a computer tech for 25 years and they were making me crazy being transferred from dept to dept most did not even know what a LAN was a had no idea what a Private Static IP addressing scheme was kept trying to sell me Live Static addresses which I have no real need for at this time. Since the I refused to pay for Level 2 support for a presale question, she was trying to transfer me to DSL support. I have no idea what DSL support could have done with U Verse equipment questions. I am about to order service but just want to be clear on this 10 device limitation. Thanks

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I have called inquiring about U Verse Internet and Phone only and have continued to get the statement about 10 devices. At least 1 of these people were supposed to be a Tech Supervisor. In the past my experiences with ATT Support has been pretty good with a few exceptions but this last experience has soured me very much. Thus my journey through many department of confused employees. My questions to all of these department have all been very specific and strictly about U Verse Internet Gateway with only U Verse Voice, and have been just not answered thus my coming to this forum to attempt to get some knowledgeable information before I just gave up on getting U Verse totally. I appreciate all of your help in this matter and feel more confident that I can accomplish what I need to do to keep my home network/lab in tact. Thanks very much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.