Helpful Links

Adding a second router to network. Can I give it a public IP address?

Adding a second router to network. Can I give it a public IP address?

I just bought an Asus RT-N66W router. It has plenty of great features which I would love to use. One of those features is using a DDNS server.

The issue is that my Asus router has a private IP address given from the AT&T Uverse Modem/Router.

Idealy I would like to disable DHCP entirely on the uverse box and just serve the public IP address to my Asus router.

I called AT&T for support. They quickly transfered me to support line in which I would have to pay +$16/month. (?!?!) For them to help me.  

Network Setup

Internet > Uverse Box > Asus Router > Computers

For the moment I've placed the router in the "DMZPlus" zone. so that I am at least not going through 2 firewalls. 

I've been wondering if the Cascaded Router feature might help,

Is there something I might be missing? 

This was much easier to set up back when I had Time Warner... 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Guru

Re: Adding a second router to network. Can I give it a public IP address?

This should help you ....click here

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

The DMZplus mode means that when your router makes a DHCP request to the RG, the RG gives it the public IP address.

This is probably exactly what you want.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

DMZ Plus mode did work. I just needed to reboot the router!

Thank you guys for the response. 

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support