Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 24, 2013
12:45:43 PM
View profile
Adding Wireless Access Point to the 2Wire

The range that I get from my 2wire as well as the wireless speed has been pretty bad (I get 24Mbps all day wired lucky if I get 11Mbps standing right next to the box wireless.) I'd like to try adding a Belkin router with the router fuction turned off and have the 2Wire stay as the DHCP server and just use the Belkin as a WAP.  Is this possible?  I'm thinking I'd just turn off wireless on the 2Wire and disable all routing fucntions on the belkin.

The range that I get from my 2wire as well as the wireless speed has been pretty bad (I get 24Mbps all day wired lucky if I get 11Mbps standing right next to the box wireless.) I'd like to try adding a Belkin router with the router fuction turned off and have the 2Wire stay as the DHCP server and just use the Belkin as a WAP.  Is this possible?  I'm thinking I'd just turn off wireless on the 2Wire and disable all routing fucntions on the belkin.

Accepted Solution

Adding Wireless Access Point to the 2Wire

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 1:20:03 PM
(0)
Employee
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Adding Wireless Access Point to the 2Wire

2 of 7 (9,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 1:41:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

maybe i am missing something but I don't want an additonal router just a WAP

maybe i am missing something but I don't want an additonal router just a WAP

3 of 7 (9,664 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply

4 of 7 (9,661 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2013 2:34:44 PM
(0)
Employee
Your initial comment " I'd like to try adding a Belkin router with the router fuction turned off" link provided, then state you don't want an additional router?
Your initial comment " I'd like to try adding a Belkin router with the router fuction turned off" link provided, then state you don't want an additional router?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (9,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 7:58:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Right, I wanted to use it as a WAP no router functionality.  DHCP server would still be the 2Wire box

Right, I wanted to use it as a WAP no router functionality.  DHCP server would still be the 2Wire box

6 of 7 (9,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 8:25:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to find a Consumer Wireless Router than a Wireless Access Point.

It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to find a Consumer Wireless Router than a Wireless Access Point.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (9,553 Views)