For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
kojak29's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 12th, 2013 4:02 PM

Add a few more ports to my uverse NVG510 router.

I'm wanting to add a few more ports to my uverse NVG510 router and I'm not sure as to what equipment I need to do this.  I believe an ethernet switch would do the trick?  I've noticed that AT&T has a "Netgear 8 port gigabit ethernet desktop switch - is this what I need?  If it helps I'm basically wanting to run some wiring to a couple of pcs and I'm out of ports on the router.  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Oh... right.  You have an NVG 510, so you don't have IPTV.  Yeah, you'll be fine.  Once you use one switch port to connect to the NVG 510, then the other switch ports will be nearly equivalent to any port on the RG for pretty much any purpose.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Yes.  The forum regulars normally recommend the Netgear GS108 as this is what AT&T installers provide when necessary.  Do be sure to isolate your IPTV devices (STB, DVR, WAP for wireless receivers) from your High Speed Internet devices (PC, XBOX, etc.), especially your own Wireless Router or Access Point, e.g. don't mix both types of devices on the same unmanaged switch.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Just to clarify.  I'm going to continue using the NVG510 as my Wireless Router/Access point.  I am just going to connect the Ethernet Switch to one of the ports on the NVG510 and then connect the other PCs to the Switch.  Will I still be able to access/see the printers, etc., that are attached to the ports on the router.  Are there any special settings that will have to set to be able to do it this way?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

JefferMC, I really appreciate your help.  Thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.