jlheureux's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 11:18 PM

Activating the phone port on gateway

My gateway (3800HGV-B) has a free phone port on the back and I was told by the installer that I could use it for a phone in the room where the gateway is located. But when I tried to do it (months after the install), I do not get a dial tone when I plug in a phone in it.

Does it have to be activated by accesing the gateway at http://192.168.1.254/?

If yes, how do I do it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

13 years ago

Call me crazy, but I think that the port is for Uvoice (VOIP).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

13 years ago

If you subscribe to VOIP- and phone light 1 is green on the front of your RG and you have a line plugged into "phone 1&2" on the back... Yes, the port labeled "aux" is also a live phone port- the only thing is your dial tone for line 1 is on the outside pins of that port (instead of the center pins).  This is only applicable on the 3600 and 3800 Rg's. NOT the 3801's.

In order to provide dial tone out of the "aux" port, you need a line 1/line 2 swapper. Either from a technician, or go to a hardware store/Radio shack and ask for that. Then yes, you can plug a phone into that swapper, and you will have dial tone. IF you have voip.

If you don't have CVoip, there is no dial tone out of any of the jacks, and there is no such thing as free phone...

HTH,

Ana

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

The phone jack in the RG is not activated.  If you subscribe to the VOIP phone service a tech will come out and setup the RG from the NID.  Then he/she will backfeed the dialtone to the other phone jacks in your home from the phone jack in the RG.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@jlheureux wrote:

My gateway (3800HGV-B) has a free phone port on the back and I was told by the installer that I could use it for a phone in the room where the gateway is located. But when I tried to do it (months after the install), I do not get a dial tone when I plug in a phone in it.

Does it have to be activated by accesing the gateway at http://192.168.1.254/?

If yes, how do I do it?

The free phone port your referring to on the back of the RG is most likely labled Phone2 and is used only for installation of a second phone line. Nothing you can do to activate it. If you want to put a phone near the RG, buy a 2 port splitter. That is, if you have Uvoice.:smileywink:

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Ana - Your answer is the oly one that makes sense, since I have ATT VOIP and your description fits my setup.

I did not try to use your suggestion for the Aux Line and I instead used a splitter on the line marked Line1 & 2.

Thanks again.

Jacques

@anadunkerra wrote:

If you subscribe to VOIP- and phone light 1 is green on the front of your RG and you have a line plugged into "phone 1&2" on the back... Yes, the port labeled "aux" is also a live phone port- the only thing is your dial tone for line 1 is on the outside pins of that port (instead of the center pins).  This is only applicable on the 3600 and 3800 Rg's. NOT the 3801's.

In order to provide dial tone out of the "aux" port, you need a line 1/line 2 swapper. Either from a technician, or go to a hardware store/Radio shack and ask for that. Then yes, you can plug a phone into that swapper, and you will have dial tone. IF you have voip.

If you don't have CVoip, there is no dial tone out of any of the jacks, and there is no such thing as free phone...

HTH,

Ana

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.