Helpful Links

ATT New gateway

Contributor

ATT New gateway

I am trying to use an older Residential Gateway (2 Wire 3600 HGV) with a new ATT connection. ATT shipped me a new motorola residential gateway. ATT Tech support says that the 2wire 3600 HGV is NOT supported for the kind of Uverse I have and that I should use the new motorola device.

My 2wire 3600 has the ATT logo and was working with U verse a few months back.

I am only trying to get the 3 Mbps internet connection. No TV, No phoneline.

Any suggestions? solutions?

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT New gateway

AT&T, in their infinite wisdom, has branded two completely different technologies under one service mark, U-verse.

U-verse originally meant FTTP, or FTTN with VDSL2 distribution to the home.  Your 2WIRE 3600 RG is designed for this sort of U-verse

A couple of years ago, AT&T came out with a new flavor of CO based ADSL (ADSL2+) which they have also branded as U-verse.  It uses different equipment, doesn't provide for IPTV, but is still called U-verse.  Apparently this is what you're being offered at your new home.  The 2WIRE 3600 RG doesn't understand and cannot work with ADSL2+.  There are several different routers that AT&T could use with this service, but the 3600, 3800, and 3801 2WIRE modems will not work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
Guru

Well-stated JefferMC.
Message 3 of 9
Contributor

Good luck.  5 months of sevice, I was continually told that the NVG510 Motorola modem sent could not be upgraded for any speed higher than 1.5 mbs.  You would think that AT&T would know the products that they are selling & would want to sell the more expensive services.  It took 100's of phone calls, 4 different modems, giving the exact address of the VRAD, 9 house calls by technichans, & they still kept telling me that in 2012 & less than 3 hours from Silicon Valley all that I could get was 1.5.  Finally, the last tech, tried to do a referral on my address.  Still, the sales person had difficulty entering a new order.  I had to cancel the service I had, then the new order went thru, & finally I was sent the CORRECT modem.  

Message 4 of 9
Guru

olioli808, your issue has nothing to do with the OP's.
Message 5 of 9
Expert

JefferMC wrote:

AT&T, in their infinite wisdom, has branded two completely different technologies under one service mark, U-verse.

U-verse originally meant FTTP, or FTTN with VDSL2 distribution to the home.  Your 2WIRE 3600 RG is designed for this sort of U-verse

A couple of years ago, AT&T came out with a new flavor of CO based ADSL (ADSL2+) which they have also branded as U-verse.  It uses different equipment, doesn't provide for IPTV, but is still called U-verse.  Apparently this is what you're being offered at your new home.  The 2WIRE 3600 RG doesn't understand and cannot work with ADSL2+.  There are several different routers that AT&T could use with this service, but the 3600, 3800, and 3801 2WIRE modems will not work.

On my understanding, Uverse IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+, is driven from cards in the VRADs.  ATT is eliminating all CO based ADSL.  Since 2/2+ has a much longer reach, it covers the area past the VDSL range from the VRAD.  If the user is within VDSL range, they get that instead.

This will cause 10-20% of ATT households to not have any DSL at all after the changeover.  Some getting ADSL out of remote terminals may find they are now out of luck (although I have seen a number of VRADs colocated w/remote terminals). Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

On my understanding, Uverse IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+, is driven from cards in the VRADs.  ATT is eliminating all CO based ADSL.  Since 2/2+ has a much longer reach, it covers the area past the VDSL range from the VRAD.  If the user is within VDSL range, they get that instead.

While VRAD based ADSL2+ may be possible, it's not what I've heard is being implemented.  Your sources may be better than mine.  Maybe someone with impeccable sources will chime in.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

ADSL2+ infastructure is delivered by IP-DSLAM’s which are currently deployed in CO and RT platforms. IPDSL network.JPG

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

So, the answer is that Chris and I are both right.  It's a win-win. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support