githin's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 11th, 2012 3:00 PM

ATT New gateway

I am trying to use an older Residential Gateway (2 Wire 3600 HGV) with a new ATT connection. ATT shipped me a new motorola residential gateway. ATT Tech support says that the 2wire 3600 HGV is NOT supported for the kind of Uverse I have and that I should use the new motorola device.

My 2wire 3600 has the ATT logo and was working with U verse a few months back.

I am only trying to get the 3 Mbps internet connection. No TV, No phoneline.

Any suggestions? solutions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T, in their infinite wisdom, has branded two completely different technologies under one service mark, U-verse.

U-verse originally meant FTTP, or FTTN with VDSL2 distribution to the home.  Your 2WIRE 3600 RG is designed for this sort of U-verse

A couple of years ago, AT&T came out with a new flavor of CO based ADSL (ADSL2+) which they have also branded as U-verse.  It uses different equipment, doesn't provide for IPTV, but is still called U-verse.  Apparently this is what you're being offered at your new home.  The 2WIRE 3600 RG doesn't understand and cannot work with ADSL2+.  There are several different routers that AT&T could use with this service, but the 3600, 3800, and 3801 2WIRE modems will not work.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Well-stated JefferMC.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Good luck.  5 months of sevice, I was continually told that the NVG510 Motorola modem sent could not be upgraded for any speed higher than 1.5 mbs.  You would think that AT&T would know the products that they are selling & would want to sell the more expensive services.  It took 100's of phone calls, 4 different modems, giving the exact address of the VRAD, 9 house calls by technichans, & they still kept telling me that in 2012 & less than 3 hours from Silicon Valley all that I could get was 1.5.  Finally, the last tech, tried to do a referral on my address.  Still, the sales person had difficulty entering a new order.  I had to cancel the service I had, then the new order went thru, & finally I was sent the CORRECT modem.  

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

olioli808, your issue has nothing to do with the OP's.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

AT&T, in their infinite wisdom, has branded two completely different technologies under one service mark, U-verse.

U-verse originally meant FTTP, or FTTN with VDSL2 distribution to the home.  Your 2WIRE 3600 RG is designed for this sort of U-verse

A couple of years ago, AT&T came out with a new flavor of CO based ADSL (ADSL2+) which they have also branded as U-verse.  It uses different equipment, doesn't provide for IPTV, but is still called U-verse.  Apparently this is what you're being offered at your new home.  The 2WIRE 3600 RG doesn't understand and cannot work with ADSL2+.  There are several different routers that AT&T could use with this service, but the 3600, 3800, and 3801 2WIRE modems will not work.

On my understanding, Uverse IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+, is driven from cards in the VRADs.  ATT is eliminating all CO based ADSL.  Since 2/2+ has a much longer reach, it covers the area past the VDSL range from the VRAD.  If the user is within VDSL range, they get that instead.

This will cause 10-20% of ATT households to not have any DSL at all after the changeover.  Some getting ADSL out of remote terminals may find they are now out of luck (although I have seen a number of VRADs colocated w/remote terminals). 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

On my understanding, Uverse IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+, is driven from cards in the VRADs.  ATT is eliminating all CO based ADSL.  Since 2/2+ has a much longer reach, it covers the area past the VDSL range from the VRAD.  If the user is within VDSL range, they get that instead.

While VRAD based ADSL2+ may be possible, it's not what I've heard is being implemented.  Your sources may be better than mine.  Maybe someone with impeccable sources will chime in.

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

ADSL2+ infastructure is delivered by IP-DSLAM’s which are currently deployed in CO and RT platforms. IPDSL network.JPG

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

So, the answer is that Chris and I are both right.  It's a win-win. Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.