showmestate's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, October 3rd, 2015 4:03 PM

ATT MODEM KEEPS RESTARTING INTERMITTENTLY

I have been dealing with an issue since May or June of this year where my modem intermittently restarts. Several technicians have come out, who found various issues at different times, like bad errors on the line, wires on the outside box crumbling, bad signals to the main box, etc. They changed the modem, location of the modem, wiring, internal parts in the outside box, ensured the voltage was good, etc. to no avail.

A technician came last Sunday to fix the issue yet again. A few hours after he left, the modem restarted again. It restarted a couple times the next few days then yesterday (Friday) when it restarted in the morning, I'd had enough. I called ATT again and while talking to the agent, the modem rebooted itself. A technician came out within two hours (have to say, their dispatch was quick) checked everything and mentioned there were bad errors on the line. He did something at the main box, performed various checks and contacted other senior techs, but he was stumped.
When he left about 30 minutes afterward, the modem restarted again. I called him directly (at his request if this happened again) and he asked that we unplug the unit from the wall and plug it into our power cord. This worked until today (the next day) when the modem restarted again. There were no TVs on, no one was on the telephone, I was only using the Internet.

I really like ATT's programming and the bargain I negotiated with them last year. I have the U450 plan with 18mbps. I have had issues with their internet service since day one (four or so years ago) that technician after technician has tried to repair. I was finally was told a year or so ago that my house was at the end of the line. That is why I experience the slow internet speeds at times (like 1-2 Mbps). They ended up putting a couple wifi receivers in and hard connected my main laptop that I use for work, that finally somewhat stabilized the speed (at least it's not almost every week we receive the slow speed).

Anyone have an idea why the modem keeps restarting at various times?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

9 years ago

When all esle fails try turning off IpV6.

I dont know what RG you have but on the NVG589

While connected to the RG via wifi or directly.

Enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser.

A menu will come up.

Goto Home Network and then configure.

You will see the IPv6 option there.

Set it to off and save.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you very much!   The technician came yesterday and switched out two things. One is the power strip, replacing it with an ISOBAR.  The other was something else that he changed from 36 to 30. He said those were known to back feed.  

So far so good.  I checked the IPv6 setting and it is set to "ON".  

If this happens again, I will change it to off and see if that works.

By the way, what does the IPv6 setting actually do?   By switching it off, will that cause other issues?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

The IPv6 switch allows the Gateway to create a IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel so that IPv6 addressed traffic can come and go from your network to the Internet.  At this point there are extremely few (if any) sites that can only be reached via IPv6, so IPv4 is fine.

IPv6 is a new addressing scheme that was created in the 1990's when the Internet started running out of addresses in the scheme being used (IPv4).  The invention and widespread implementation of NAT has allowed for a long delay of the transition to IPv6.

In a few years, you probably could not turn IPv6 off safely.  Now, there's no problem at all doing so.

The reason we suggest you do so now is (1) Some Gateways have firmware bugs that cause them to crash processing IPv6 traffic, (2) the IPv6 to IPv4 tunnel causes some packet size issues resulting in a lot of lost packets and retries and is therefore not all that useable in its current form, and (3) a lot of IPv6 hosts are experimental in nature and not really ready for primetime either.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Where would one turn it off on the 3801HGV?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@GregTR wrote:

Where would one turn it off on the 3801HGV?

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_6

(Or http://192.168.1.254 > Settings > LAN > IPv6)

Uncheck IPv6 LAN Enabled.  Click Save.  Enter the System Password from the side of the Gateway.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My Modem Details:

Manufacturer : Pace Plc
Model : 5268AC
Hardware Version: 260-2173300
Software Version: 10.5.3.527157-att

I have been facing the same issues as showmestate.  Multiple technicians; most recent one said your connection is very good after running some tests.  He said there was a little distortion, but negligible.  

In my case, I am not far from the ATT receiver (located just about 1000 feet).  The Wordpress JetPack monitors (via blogs hosted on multiple virtual servers) report a 3 minute lapse intermittantly, sometimes twice a day.  

But, since I run hosting/email servers with my business connection (with public IPs), I do not want to disable IPV6. I am using IPV6 for a few virtual servers on multiple server machines.  

I thought IPV6 was OK?

What should I do?

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

8 years ago

You could try changing to Google's DNS settings.

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

You cant  make these changes on the RG. You will have to make them on each device that connects to the RG.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

You mean to replace the ATT given DNS servers with these on a given machine?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@hostlawn wrote:

You mean to replace the ATT given DNS servers with these on a given machine?

This might help you understand better:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Step by step instructions. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.