For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
showmestate's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, October 3rd, 2015 4:03 PM

ATT MODEM KEEPS RESTARTING INTERMITTENTLY

I have been dealing with an issue since May or June of this year where my modem intermittently restarts. Several technicians have come out, who found various issues at different times, like bad errors on the line, wires on the outside box crumbling, bad signals to the main box, etc. They changed the modem, location of the modem, wiring, internal parts in the outside box, ensured the voltage was good, etc. to no avail.

A technician came last Sunday to fix the issue yet again. A few hours after he left, the modem restarted again. It restarted a couple times the next few days then yesterday (Friday) when it restarted in the morning, I'd had enough. I called ATT again and while talking to the agent, the modem rebooted itself. A technician came out within two hours (have to say, their dispatch was quick) checked everything and mentioned there were bad errors on the line. He did something at the main box, performed various checks and contacted other senior techs, but he was stumped.
When he left about 30 minutes afterward, the modem restarted again. I called him directly (at his request if this happened again) and he asked that we unplug the unit from the wall and plug it into our power cord. This worked until today (the next day) when the modem restarted again. There were no TVs on, no one was on the telephone, I was only using the Internet.

I really like ATT's programming and the bargain I negotiated with them last year. I have the U450 plan with 18mbps. I have had issues with their internet service since day one (four or so years ago) that technician after technician has tried to repair. I was finally was told a year or so ago that my house was at the end of the line. That is why I experience the slow internet speeds at times (like 1-2 Mbps). They ended up putting a couple wifi receivers in and hard connected my main laptop that I use for work, that finally somewhat stabilized the speed (at least it's not almost every week we receive the slow speed).

Anyone have an idea why the modem keeps restarting at various times?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the same promble where do you find all this. to fix or do I have to get a tech to do it

View profile
Solved

When all esle fails try turning off IpV6.

I dont know what RG you have but on the NVG589

While connected to the RG via wifi or directly.

Enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser.

A menu will come up.

Goto Home Network and then configure.

You will see the IPv6 option there.

Set it to off and save.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Is this 'solution' (turn off IpV6) for Uverse customers only, or does it also apply to DSL?  We have continuously had connectivity issues, for at least 2 years now. We are a small business and must have static IP's, and 90% or more of our business is utilized through the internet. Same as many, we have switched routers ( I have 3 in our storage closet already), been told errors in line, at D-link, mice chewed a line at box, etc etc etc.  I have an entire folder on service requests and each time, it appears that a knowledgable Tech comes out and things work, at best, very temporarily.  I have even installed a program that monitors our drops and saves a log, which is quite informative.  I have given up calling Tech Support, as they run me thru the same old stuff, and end up telling me some latency and drops are to be expected.  Being a small company, the IT stuff falls on my lap, which needless to say, ,is not my forte.  IF turing off the IpV6 will also help us old school DSL users, I absolutely will give it a shot, but I have previously asked Tech Support about that AND turning off our wireless, and was told it makes no difference.  (btw, we currently use DSL gateway  netgear 7550.)

Any help/advice would be so greatly appreciated! As much as I would hate to switch everything to another ISP, I have already been in the works making sure we can be compatible with another provider.  Thanks!!! MC1387

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Is this still a valid suggestion in Jan of 2017?   If the IPv6 content is so infrequent, why would it be to blame for frequent WiFi failure?  It would be nice to see a list of what DOES cause the WiFi to reset - that would provide us with a place to start.

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

7 years ago

The IPv6 issue causes the gateway to restart which would bring everything down, TV, Wifi etc. etc. until the gateway restarts.

If it's only your wifi that is a problem then it wont be due to the IPv6 bug.

You have responded to an old thread on the IPv6 issue.

Best would be to start a new one exactly outlining your problem and then we can see if we can help. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I know this is an old post but I've had this same problem recently, never had it before.  I did go in and uncheck the IVP6 and so far yesterday my modem did not reboot once.  I'll continue checking it.  My friend has the same problem.  I'll probably do the fix for her too.  Thanks for the solution!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

MC1387 are you still having this issue with your 7550 router? If not what was the solution? I'm facing the exact same challenge ... continually router crashes daily - for months. Each new tech finds a new problem "in the line" and fixes it, but still no help. Download speed is only 1-2mb/s also (we're supposed to get 5 I'm told). Mayhem

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I was having intermittent reboots and it appears turning off IpV6 has corrected the problem.

I am writing this on day two and the reboots have vanished.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.