Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Upgrade Project Aesthetically Displeasing - Patriots Point Community - Lawrenceville, GA

AT&T Upgrade Project Aesthetically Displeasing - Patriots Point Community - Lawrenceville, GA

The Association received communication from AT&T announcing an upgrade.  The Association does not take issue with the upgrade however we are not happy with the plan to install cable housing units in the front yard of each of our 210 townhome units. This is in our opinion unacceptable and feel that there has to be a more aesthetically pleasing installation method. Most front lawns in the community average 13' x 7' and having a visible cable housing unit of any kind in the front yard would be an eyesore. We are waiting to hear back from an AT&T Representative on this matter and until such time we have requested that AT&T private contractors cease all work. The Association does note the law in regards to utility installation/upgrades however should the Association been given a scope of work prior to the commencement of work?

Message 1 of 18
Expert

Re: AT&T Upgrade Project Aesthetically Displeasing - Patriots Point Community - Lawrenceville, G

@PatriotsPoint  Where is the utility easement, in front of all the townhouses?  Where they want to put them?  Most states let utilities do almost anything in the utility easement area anywhere in the state. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 2 of 18

Re: AT&T Upgrade Project Aesthetically Displeasing - Patriots Point Community - Lawrenceville, G

Chris

Thank you for your response.

Yes...within 8 feet of the curb.  Seems rather unfair that AT&T can legally change the esthetics  of a privately owned and maintained community for the sake of their profit line. There is already talk of an AT&T boycott.  The homeowners are not happy.

Message 3 of 18
Expert

@PatriotsPoint  Unluckily that's the standard phone access (as it is still from the Phone co) they use around the country in this situation.

Only other option I could think of is a grass level 6" or so deep set 10"x10" box w/all the connections inside and secured green top (similar w/sprinker control boxes).  A bit harder for techs to work in, but be more aesthetic. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Message 4 of 18

Chris

It would appear that they are planning to install the very housing unit you are referencing.  It is very noticeable due to the small area of lawn not to mention it will be installed in the front yard of 210 townhomes. Homeowners are asking why are they being forced to have this equipment in their yard when they do not plan on using the service?  Why can't the installation take place when a customer orders the service? Homeowners are wondering how will the area be restored to its original condition when grass cannot grow on plastic?  There has to be another way of doing the installation that will not diminish the esthetics of our community and inadvertently create a low public opinion of  AT&T.

Message 5 of 18
Expert

@PatriotsPoint   Hate to say it, but you guys really want things to magically come out of nowhere. Smiley Frustrated

Chris

Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

@PatriotsPoint wrote:

Chris

... Homeowners are asking why are they being forced to have this equipment in their yard when they do not plan on using the service?  Why can't the installation take place when a customer orders the service?...

Because it is a construction project to run the underground fiber, not an installation.  Different people, different skills, different tools.  If that were the standard for AT&T to provide service for your townhomes, it would not happen; it would not be economically feasible.

If it's the low profile box that Chris talks about, then I'm not sure what your beef is.  It's in the utility easement, it's as unobtrusive as you can make such things. 

Update: Here's a picture from an MLS listing of a home in that community:

07626941_GAMLS

What IS that unsightly black thing between the sidewalk and the curb.  How do you stand for something like that?  And those horrid gray boxes next to the garage doors?  Simply awful.

And look at the first few seconds of this video.  What's that black thing in front of the walkway?  Can you grow grass on that?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 18
Professor

Public utility easements are planned by developers and the local governments. Compromises have to be made. If the easement was in the back yards you would have similar issues. At least they are low profile and not 3 foot tall above ground pedestals. Where are the existing att boxes on the units? Are the electrical boxes in the development hidden?
Message 8 of 18
ACE - Expert

You're already dealing with what appears to be an electric meter on the front of the house and what's that flat thing in front of the hedges?

townhouse.JPG

I'm thinking that the developer didn't put a lot of thought into the esthetics from the beginning.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 18
Professor

The box in front of the hedges could be a water meter/water shut off box.
Message 10 of 18
ACE - Expert

@browndk26 wrote:
The box in front of the hedges could be a water meter/water shut off box.

That, along with the electric meter, would indicate that all utilities enter via the front elevation and explain the Uverse box being located in the front.

Message 11 of 18

Hello and thank you for your comment.

Yes the electrical boxes are hidden.  They are located behind shrubs in the grassy areas between the end units.  The AT&T boxes are located on the front of each home and are hidden by shrubs unless the homeowner altered the landscaping.

Compromise is exactly what the Association is leading to.  There is a utility easement in the rear of the homes. The Association hoped the cable installation boxes could be installed in the rear of the homes. 

Message 12 of 18

Yes...you are correct about the developer's plans however the Association has made great strides since then.  In fact this is a very old photo.  Shrubs planted on the front of the house have matured and now cover the electric meter on the front of the home.  The plate you are referring to in the front yard is for water service and only a few homes have these in their front yard. The plan is not to add anything more to the small front yards that will cause it to look any less attractive.  The Association is trying to negotiate that the cable housing units be install behind the homes.  It was said that the cable housing unit that they are planning to install can actually service up to 10 units.  If that is true, why would there need to be one installed in each yard?

Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@PatriotsPoint wrote:

Yes...you are correct about the developer's plans however the Association has made great strides since then.  In fact this is a very old photo.  Shrubs planted on the front of the house have matured and now cover the electric meter on the front of the home.  The plate you are referring to in the front yard is for water service and only a few homes have these in their front yard. The plan is not to add anything more to the small front yards that will cause it to look any less attractive.  The Association is trying to negotiate that the cable housing units be install behind the homes.  It was said that the cable housing unit that they are planning to install can actually service up to 10 units.  If that is true, why would there need to be one installed in each yard?

I wondered about your original statement about EACH home having the large boxes.  I'm assuming that you are (unknowingly) referencing VRADs.   VRADs supply a cluster of homes. 

This is not my neighborhood but our equipment is very similar to this.  Our VRADs are on the corner near a school.

220px-Vrad_on_turkey_creek

I think your HOA is either getting the wrong information or is confused about the equipment in question. 

The box that brings service into the home is a small gray box attached to the house.  This is the best photo I could find on Google.  Again, not mine and this one was taken to show a messy install.  The gray door would be closed to keep the elements out.

oOpen INID showing a messy install.

Before panicking, I think the HOA needs some clarity on the planned upgrade.  They need to ask lots of questions, demand photos and blueprints.

Message 14 of 18
Professor

Utility easements can be utility specific. The one in the back yards may be for gas, electric, telco, cable or a combination. God that you are trying to negotiate but att hands may be tied to using the easement in the front. You'll need to check and see what the easement in the back is for. You may be able to consult with your local public works. They may have jurisdiction or insight into the easements. They could save you a lot of time if the att lines have to be in the front or help you get what you want if they can go in the back.
Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support