For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
PatriotsPoint's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, April 20th, 2016 4:46 PM

AT&T Upgrade Project Aesthetically Displeasing - Patriots Point Community - Lawrenceville, GA

The Association received communication from AT&T announcing an upgrade.  The Association does not take issue with the upgrade however we are not happy with the plan to install cable housing units in the front yard of each of our 210 townhome units. This is in our opinion unacceptable and feel that there has to be a more aesthetically pleasing installation method. Most front lawns in the community average 13' x 7' and having a visible cable housing unit of any kind in the front yard would be an eyesore. We are waiting to hear back from an AT&T Representative on this matter and until such time we have requested that AT&T private contractors cease all work. The Association does note the law in regards to utility installation/upgrades however should the Association been given a scope of work prior to the commencement of work?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Hello and thank you for your comment.

Yes the electrical boxes are hidden.  They are located behind shrubs in the grassy areas between the end units.  The AT&T boxes are located on the front of each home and are hidden by shrubs unless the homeowner altered the landscaping.

Compromise is exactly what the Association is leading to.  There is a utility easement in the rear of the homes. The Association hoped the cable installation boxes could be installed in the rear of the homes. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Yes...you are correct about the developer's plans however the Association has made great strides since then.  In fact this is a very old photo.  Shrubs planted on the front of the house have matured and now cover the electric meter on the front of the home.  The plate you are referring to in the front yard is for water service and only a few homes have these in their front yard. The plan is not to add anything more to the small front yards that will cause it to look any less attractive.  The Association is trying to negotiate that the cable housing units be install behind the homes.  It was said that the cable housing unit that they are planning to install can actually service up to 10 units.  If that is true, why would there need to be one installed in each yard?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@PatriotsPoint wrote:

Yes...you are correct about the developer's plans however the Association has made great strides since then.  In fact this is a very old photo.  Shrubs planted on the front of the house have matured and now cover the electric meter on the front of the home.  The plate you are referring to in the front yard is for water service and only a few homes have these in their front yard. The plan is not to add anything more to the small front yards that will cause it to look any less attractive.  The Association is trying to negotiate that the cable housing units be install behind the homes.  It was said that the cable housing unit that they are planning to install can actually service up to 10 units.  If that is true, why would there need to be one installed in each yard?

I wondered about your original statement about EACH home having the large boxes.  I'm assuming that you are (unknowingly) referencing VRADs.   VRADs supply a cluster of homes. 

This is not my neighborhood but our equipment is very similar to this.  Our VRADs are on the corner near a school.

220px-Vrad_on_turkey_creek

I think your HOA is either getting the wrong information or is confused about the equipment in question. 

The box that brings service into the home is a small gray box attached to the house.  This is the best photo I could find on Google.  Again, not mine and this one was taken to show a messy install.  The gray door would be closed to keep the elements out.

oOpen INID showing a messy install.

Before panicking, I think the HOA needs some clarity on the planned upgrade.  They need to ask lots of questions, demand photos and blueprints.

2 Attachments

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

Utility easements can be utility specific. The one in the back yards may be for gas, electric, telco, cable or a combination. God that you are trying to negotiate but att hands may be tied to using the easement in the front. You'll need to check and see what the easement in the back is for. You may be able to consult with your local public works. They may have jurisdiction or insight into the easements. They could save you a lot of time if the att lines have to be in the front or help you get what you want if they can go in the back.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for that suggestion.  An Association member will take this to task.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your response.  Very good points.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your response.  Very good points.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.