gfwoodj's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 31st, 2014 12:45 AM

AT&T U-verse Gateway that supports 802.11n

I live in the city of San Diego. I currently receive U-verse services including TV, Internet, and VOIP. I called AT&T tech support last night and stated I would like to pay to have my current gateway (2 wire i38HG) replaced with one that supports 802.11n. The tech support person told me if she ordered a new gateway for me, it would be impossible for her to know what type I might receive. She stated more than likely it would be the same gateway that I am trying to replace.

I cannot believe that an upgrade is impossible.  However,since I do not know exactly how my home is served from the Del Mar central office the lady may be correct.

Does anyone know how I might get more information for my area.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Why not just get your own WAP and put the RG in bridge mode (or close facsimile). That's what I do, consumer routers have more features than the minimal U-Verse equipment.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you. I did upgrade to the 589.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

I have tried that but have issues with my ethernet wired IPTV boxes!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @TSMC,

I apologize about the issues you are having with your Ethernet wired IPTV boxes, but I will be glad to help. With the IPTV boxes, what error are you getting? Is the picture freezing? Also, do you notice issues on the IPTV boxes at the same time?

-David T

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for you concern. I feel this is a problem with my Netgear router/access point not the AT&T equipment, but here is the story...

My house is/was a duplex so there was a weak but usable wireless signal toward the back of the house or house #2. To give my mother a  stable internet connection in the back house I would run an ethernet cable from my gateway to another router (LAN port connection) in her space, turn off DHCP on it and enjoy wired and expanded strong wireless signals to the back deck and pool areas!

Fast forward a few years; my home network has evolved to gigabit ethernet, my office has moved to the back of the house, now I need gigabit and strong wireless back there! Installed a new Netgear WNR3500L gigabit router, (LAN port connection) turned off DHCP and all is well (including the IPTV wired ethernet) EXCEPT the wireless access on the new Netgear router drops out or devices can't connect at all!

Reconfigured the Netgear as an access point, cable from AT&T gateway to WAN port of the netgear router (required for AP mode to work) Wired and wireless devices all work well ....... BUT the ethernet wired IPTV box will not get a valid IP address! TV signal is non existant on that box only.

I feel this is a DRM issue as the TV signal goes to another (formal due to the WAN connection) router after the AT&T gateway. The TV works fine if I connect to the AT&T gateway to the LAN port. Why the wireless does not work in a LAN configuration I have been using for years is beyond me. Guess I will not be buying any more Netgear branded equipment...

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

EDIT;

I was looking for information about an AT&T gateway with gigabit LAN ports so I could eliminate 1 switch in my network configuration and solve this issue. Found one but no luck with AT&T about getting it!

Motorola HVG589

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @TSMC,

I suspect you are right in your diagnosis of the TV issue. I cannot think of any other reasons on why it is not relaying an IP. On the gigabit router, I found that it is best to use your own equipment for your internal network. Our routers main purpose is for internet, and do not work as well for handling an internal network as some of the 3rd party routers out there.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.