Can you pls fix this problem? In early May'19, I was given a new modem/router BGW210-700 when a technician came to fix some other issue that AT&T had caused with my U-verse internet. Ever since, my internet experience has been really bad, with intermittent slowness (almost stalled internet) and the downstream bitrate never reaching near (within 80-90%) the service max (18mbps - this is what we get in the mountains for a reasonable price). Downstream is most often in the range of 1-8mbps when the router is not stalled. Streaming movies/videos never works smoothly anymore. Now, before I was given this router, everything worked just fine with the prior equipment (I do not recall the manufacturer, but reading through numerous other related posts, I am guessing it was PACE).
I have been through countless factory resets, reboots etc. When I called AT&T for service, they sent another technician and he swapped the router with another BGW210-700 unit. That did not help either. The FW version on the unit was 1.8.18, and as of today it is 1.9.16. When I run the diagnostics test in the router setup page, the test does not always complete, and the speed test in the router setup page shows either "test did not complete" or when it finishes it shows downstream bitrate of about 16mbps. However any internet test (whether it's ATT Speedtest or Oocla etc.) running on any connected devices always shows something between 1-8mbps if the test completes. Average latency is upwards of 600ms.
I have the usual type and number of devices hooked up to this router (eg: 3 Ring Cameras, Nest, Computer, Tablet, SmartTV etc.). And all those worked fine before. So the devices connected to the router or the traffic generated by them are not a source of the problem. They are the same as what was connected to the prior modem/router which always worked.
My request: Pls send me a modem/router that works. Internet experience has been really bad for the last 6 weeks.
Call customer service and ask for another gateway to be shipped to you. You’ll probably get another pace model. You will have 21 days to return one of the gateways.
While you are waiting for another gateway, factory reset the gateway you currently have. That may help. Since you mention att fixing another issue. Call again for a tech visit to check all inside and outside lines. The previous tech visit may be the cause of your current problems.
Thank you Professor, will call customer service and ask for another PACE modem.
When the technician came out to look into the problem, downstream bitrate was showing consistently above 16mbps when there was no other device connected. So I think the service coming into the house is OK. Something must be wrong with the modem in terms of how it handles multiple devices. As soon as I enable all the devices the service starts to degrade and the downstream bitrate tanks. Needless to say, the old modem handled the same number/type of devices with no issues. While I wait for the new modem, will try factory reset once again but not hopeful as I have tried that several times before. AT&T has not tested this new modem sufficiently. Where we live there are very limited ISPs (only 2, and AT&T is the slightly better of them at a reasonable rate), so have to find a solution for this issue.
Problem Solved: Called ATT customer service and explained the situation. Asked for a different type of modem to address the issue. The technician came by today and installed a Pace 5268AC FXN modem. It works like a charm. I think the BGW210-700 modem has problems handling multiple devices simultaneously. If others are having the same problem, I recommend getting a Pace modem. Thanks again Professor (browndk26) for your help!