steviejay_80's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, November 21st, 2013 5:12 PM

AT&T U-Verse - PS4 Connection Speed REALLY SLOW

I Currently have Uverse and when I downloaded the update via usb from another internet provider it works fine. When I download the update from my place it said it would take 4 hours. I also tried to download the same file on my computer and same thing. I can download everything else on the internet just fine. On my PS4 even Netflix does not dl properly. I talked to a agent at Sony and he said it's related to the service (U-Verse) I wanted to get your thoughts about it and see what else I can do? Was thinking of doing port forwarding to see if that would resolve the issue. Does the 2-Wire modem need a special setting with a PSN network? If this does not get resolved soon I'm moving back to Comcast and bringing my friends with me. Please help!!!! 

This also applies when I download a game update on the PS4 the file is 323MB and said it would take 12 hours???????????

Thanks

Steve

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Strange. I don't have a solution, but can report I haven't had any issues downloading updates/patches/games on my PS4. A couple of notes - I'm using an Airport Extreme router behind the 2Wire router/modem on the 24Mbps tier, and I am using my own local DNS server. One idea - try changing your DNS address on the PS4. If you have it set to the AT&T servers, try using Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). If you're using another DNS provider, try switching back to AT&T's servers.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I also was having this issue, got my speed back up with the DNS address change, but I also went into the router and in my firewall settings I activated "DMZplus" on my Playstation 4's wireless MAC address.

Before the change I was at 18+hrs for a 756mb game... UPDATE after I downloaded an actual game that was 2000+mbs within a hour!

I really hope this helps!
Notes: Using wifi on a 2wire 3081hgv modem.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

What HSI tier do you subscribe to?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I'm running Internet Max Turbo 18mb - Dynamic I.P no static addresses. Trying to figure out what is causing this. It's a stumper. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

There is probably a problem identifying the correct download site for you.  Do you have any tools, such as wireshark, that can tell you what IP address you're downloading from?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I myself have this problem. Whenever I play online, I have no latency issues, it's just when I try and download an update or a game. The speeds are terrible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Same issue. This is the third update that I cannot get via my Uverse internet. I am having to resort to a Verizon Wireless hotspot in order to get the downloads in any acceptable timeframe. We are talking about (3) 700MB downloads that take +15 hours each. This is not acceptable. How can I get the downloads over 4G but my home internet cannot figure out how to connect or find the right server? I have called three times. Hung up or disconnected from with no return call even though I gave my call back number. Ticked off is the least I can say about it. Welp. Just got disconnected from the Uverse queue for the 2nd time tonight. ATT please get it together. Here is my download status after 25 minutes. Less than 1 MB per minute.Uverse connection on PS4.jpg

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have been having the same issue.  My PS4 updates would download fine, and my map packs for Call of Duty: Ghosts would download a bit slower, but fine.  However, my COD game updates would say that they were going to take 14-20 hours for a 746MB file.  I currently run at 24MBPS, so even cutting it to 1/4 that speed it should download in a few minutes.  

I tried changing the DNS address on my PS4 and it worked!  HOWEVER, it was still a bit slow for my taste.  It went from saying it would take 14 hours to 30 minutes.  That's still too long, BUT I can deal with 30 minutes versus the 14 hours.  

Also, I spoke with ATT prior to changing the DNS settings, and they are in the process of sending me a new modem.  I believe the issue lies in certain areas and certain ATT servers that need updating.  The issue doesn't seem to be across the board with all ATT customers, only certain ones.  

Thanks for the help Ahintz!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

CORRECTION it's a 3801hgv modem

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Likely the AT&T DNS is sending a large number of subscribers to the same CDN for these downloads and the path between the CDN and the AT&T U-verse network is getting congested.

I think they need to look at how AT&T DNS and the Akamai (I'm assuming, MS loves them) CDN are configured.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.