Mrkilt8020's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 8:54 PM

AT&T Modem Router + Apple Airport Extreme = ?

Nobody from AT&T can seem to answer this so I turn to you knowledgeable folks!

In short, my Uverse internet and cable service is set to be installed on Saturday 6/22. The question that nobody from AT&T can't seem to answer is how I would set up my network with their hardware. I do a lot of intra-network activity including managing my Airport Extreme (router) via iOS devices, etc. I would like my Airport Extreme to be the ONLY router in the network which calls AT&T's in to question. I also have my own modem that I'd like to use which is apparently on the compatibility list.

So I guess my question is: Do I have to use AT&T's modem and/or router? If so, is it a single unit (router and modem in one)? If so, can I disable the router aspect of it and just use the modem side of it, allowing the Airport Extreme to do the DHCP routing?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

@henry-in-florida wrote:

@DavidCS wrote:

Hi cadjak,

I actually use a router behind my router to boost wireless performance, so the Airport Extreme Router may help out. It should be a simple configuration with the Airport utility. You can configure it multiple ways, but I would suggest using the Airport Extreme as a router, which can easily be done by going through the Aiport utility and choosing to create a new network.

Also, a few changes you want to make on our router after you get your Airport up and running is disabling the wireless so you do not run into wireless conflicts and letting your Airport handle the main routing processes (this may not be necessary).

To disable the wireless:

1. With a computer connected directly to the AT&T Router go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings at the top
  3. Select the sub-tab LAN
  4. Select the sub-tab Wireless (it may ask for a password, this will be labeled as the system password or device access code on the side of the AT&T router).
  5. On Wireless Interface, click the drop down and select Disabled.
  6. Save

To let your Airport handle the routing:

1. With a computer connected directly to the AT&T Router go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings at the top
  3. Select the sub-tab Firewall
  4. Select the sub-tabl Applications, Pinholes and DMZ
  5. Where it says Select a computer, choose your Airport Extreme
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and choose Allow all applications (DMZplus mode)
  7. Save

Hope this helps.

-David T

I have a question about the settings. If I disable the wireless portion of the ATT system (I have 4 ATT supplied components the Pace RG, the Cisco WAP, the DVR, the Wireless Receiver), the WAP won't I lose connectivity to the receiver?

Thanks, David.I proved that by doing what you said. And it worked!

Now how can I turn off the internal Router portion of the RG? I can use my modem as router (AEBS- Airport Extreme model A-1521) to hand out IP addreses. Your RG is old technology. I need and use a 1000BT system and the internal is too slow. 

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

It would still be needed to route data, but you can separate your networks. With internet traffic, the Megabit connection is definitely fast enough, since your internet speed is not that fast. For your internal network, you can put it in a different subnet behind the Apple Airport, and have it hand out IP addresses as you planned, and the routing should only go through the Airport unless it needs to reach traffic outside of the current subnet.

-David T

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I had been using this technique to host a small small web server for personal use, and I had everything going over https (port 443).

Recently, I upgraded to a wireless set-top box, and have lost the ability to connect to any of my https pages, even though they're still behind the DMZ-ed router. Is there any way to get port 443 back for stuff that's in DMZplus mode, or am I just screwed?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

No, the wireless access point commandeers port 443 for itself. If you remove the firewall entry, AT&T's management system will put it back within a few hours.

The only solutions are:

- Purchase static IP addresses, and use one of them for port 443.
- Change the wireless set-top box back to a wired box and get rid of the wireless access point.
- Alter your web server to use a different port.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Wow .. that's pretty terrible. [Richard] move, AT&T - the wireless STBs could surely be configured to commandeer something that's not a standard service port (like 4433) instead. Heck, even if the WAP is a black-box, the RG can be set to forward 4433 -> WAP:443 easily enough. I can't think of a single technical reason to hose 443 other than to squeeze more money out of customers, or (hopefully) a dumb mistake that will be remedied soon.

Meanwhile, I guess it's going to have to be the alternate port for me .. until they decide to use / block that one, too. Bummer.

Thanks, SomeJoe7777, for your help.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi David, I know your most recent post is a few months old so I hope you still check this. I am trying to do something similar to the original post so I have been doing quote a bit of reading. I have a couple of questions I am hoping you can answer.

I have 5 TV's in my house. 4 are hard wired to the RG router via the 4 Ethernet ports on the back of the RG. The 5th TV is connected wireless.

If I disable the wireless on the RG, will the 4 Ethernet ports on the back of the RG still work? I read on another forum they will not work once I disable the wireless.

If I disable the wireless on the RG, will the 5th TV still work via the wireless from the AE? If yes, how do I connect the TV to the AE since the AE does not have a "learn" button?

If your answer is yes the 4 ethernet ports on the RG will still work but the 5th TV no longer will, is there a way to expand the number of ethernet ports on the RG so I can hard wire the 5th TV?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you turn off the wireless in the RG it will only affect wireless internet access devices. It will not impact the four network jacks. It will not affect the wireless receiver for the TV,

The wireless receiver for the TV is fed from a WAP that plugs in to one of the four network jacks. A WAP can feed two wireless receivers/TVs. Perhaps you have two wireless receivers or one is fed by COAX.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Ace. Your are right, I do have one receiver fed by a coax. I appreciate your advice and will give it a try.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Ace, in the thread above David T. CS gives instructions for 2 things:
1. Turning off the wireless on the RG.
2. Instructions to let the AirPort Extreme handle routing.

I have done 1 above. Do I need to do 2? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks n

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

have my airport extreme plugged into my NVG589 and I'm getting a double NAT still on my airport extreme. I have disabled wireless, turned off packet filter, turned "IP Passthrough" to default server with the IP of "192.169.2.1". I cannot figure out how to turn off NAT on the NVG589 and let the airport extreme handle everything. Any solutions?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.