Mrkilt8020's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 8:54 PM

AT&T Modem Router + Apple Airport Extreme = ?

Nobody from AT&T can seem to answer this so I turn to you knowledgeable folks!

In short, my Uverse internet and cable service is set to be installed on Saturday 6/22. The question that nobody from AT&T can't seem to answer is how I would set up my network with their hardware. I do a lot of intra-network activity including managing my Airport Extreme (router) via iOS devices, etc. I would like my Airport Extreme to be the ONLY router in the network which calls AT&T's in to question. I also have my own modem that I'd like to use which is apparently on the compatibility list.

So I guess my question is: Do I have to use AT&T's modem and/or router? If so, is it a single unit (router and modem in one)? If so, can I disable the router aspect of it and just use the modem side of it, allowing the Airport Extreme to do the DHCP routing?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Well the first thing is if your getting TV and internet you will have to use the residential gateway (RG) the tech will provide.  Second you can use the Airport as a router to hand out DHCP.  There are a couple of gotcha's though.  If your DVR will be connected via Cat 5e (the preferred way) it must be connected to the RG.  Also any set top boxes (STB), if connected via Cat 5e must be off the RG.  You can not plug a DVR or STB into a secondary router.  The TV packets will flood the router and basically kill your internet.  If you are doing wireless STB's no need to worry.

Here is how to do it from a forum member Somejoe7777:

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers.  However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

Your router should now be able to route as if the 2Wire was a straight bridge, for the most part.

Inbound port 22 might be blocked, and inbound ports 8000-8015 might also be blocked, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

This is how I have my 2Wire configured, and I have a Cisco 2811 behind it doing IPSec, IPv6 tunnels, etc.

Hope this helps.  If not post back and we will see what else we can come up with.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

This is all incredibly helpful info!

So I'm gathering that the RG would have to stay in place at the front of the connections, closest (albeit not physically) to the main line. Then, any TVs / STBs would be connected via Cat6 to the RG directly. Finally, the Airport Extreme would be connected to one of the ethernet ports on the RG which handles DHCP...correct so far? Would something like this work? Make any sense?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes that should work the way you have it drawn up.  Just remember to keep the "TV" traffic separate from your secondary router.  That's where most people go wrong.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Cool. I'll give that a shot. So directions above more or less allow the AT&T modem/router to act as a modem only (no router)? Of course, I can't try it until this weekend.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Correct.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have just moved to a new house. My old place was on comcast and I had internet and phone. The phone came through the comcast modem, and internet was through a Motorola Surfboard modem to a, Airport Extreme router. My internet was rock solid and fast. My new house had existing AT&T Uverse wiring and COmcast wanted $200 to install. I went with Uverse telephone and internet, no television. The AT&T gateway is a Pace 5031NV-30. It does not seem to be able to deliver internet at a consistent speed a qulity. I see the link quality drop from 89% to 14% and back up again. Sometimes netflix will load quickly, other times it just takes forever to buffer and load.

My question is, will running my Apple Airport Extreme on one of the Pace's LAN ports, and then adding some Airport Express to extend the network, be faster and more consistent than the Pace 5031NV-30 as router? If so, how would I configure that? I have the Airport utility on my PC.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi cadjak,

I actually use a router behind my router to boost wireless performance, so the Airport Extreme Router may help out. It should be a simple configuration with the Airport utility. You can configure it multiple ways, but I would suggest using the Airport Extreme as a router, which can easily be done by going through the Aiport utility and choosing to create a new network.

Also, a few changes you want to make on our router after you get your Airport up and running is disabling the wireless so you do not run into wireless conflicts and letting your Airport handle the main routing processes (this may not be necessary).

To disable the wireless:

1. With a computer connected directly to the AT&T Router go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings at the top
  3. Select the sub-tab LAN
  4. Select the sub-tab Wireless (it may ask for a password, this will be labeled as the system password or device access code on the side of the AT&T router).
  5. On Wireless Interface, click the drop down and select Disabled.
  6. Save

To let your Airport handle the routing:

1. With a computer connected directly to the AT&T Router go to http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings at the top
  3. Select the sub-tab Firewall
  4. Select the sub-tabl Applications, Pinholes and DMZ
  5. Where it says Select a computer, choose your Airport Extreme
  6. Scroll down to the bottom and choose Allow all applications (DMZplus mode)
  7. Save

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

David,
I was wondering if the AirPort Express worked with the Motorola NVG510 modem that is paired with AT&T U-Verse. If so, are the installation steps the same as you mentioned?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Question on this setup.

Will you be able to use the AT&T U-verse apps like U-verse and Easy Remote with wireless devices?

Thank you.

Michael

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

David,

your instructions were very helpful and eveything worked as described. Unfortunately by turning off the AT&T router (3801 HGV) the signal is now weak on one end of the house but strong on the other end where the AE sits.

Thus I have now realized that what I really need is to use the Airport Extreme (early 801.11g versionM8799LL/A) as repeater of the AT&T wifi. How can that be accomplished?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.