For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Sting1373's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, October 8th, 2018 1:10 AM

AT&T Approved Routers

Currently on the gigapower service with the 2wire 5268ac router.  I speed test wired in and cant anywhere close to the gig speed that I'm paying for.  Mainly getting around 400 to 500.  Having a large home, security camera, several devices, all ports in use, I've done a clean test with a hard factory reset and still cannot get that router to push/stream faster.  I've even made the router a gateway pass thru to a nighthawk gig router and still at a loss.  So now the question, what are the approved routers that I can find that will support the gig speed (or close to it) with the COAX conversion?  Plus this will save me in the long run instead of paying the monthly rental fee.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

can I replace the 2wire 5268ac modem with the Arris SB8200 that supports DOCSIS 3.1?

Of course not.  You must use the att supplied gateway (router/modem).   I don't believe you can even use a DOCSIS modem (or any other cable modem) behind the att gateway either.

@gr8sho said:

I'm actually not sure how many concurrent wireless set-top boxes can stream simultaneously off of one WAP.

FYI, here's a portion of a post from another thread by My Thoughts:

WAP 401 can only support 2 wireless receivers.

WAP 501 or 2500 can support up to (5)....

Need a newer model gateway as well.

The first two units should be 7005 WiFi receivers, the other unit(s) should be either 7105 or 2500.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Having a large home, security camera, several devices, all ports in use, I've done a clean test with a hard factory reset and still cannot get that router to push/stream faster.

Was that speed test done with all the other devices not competing for their own bandwidth, i.e., all disconnected except for the device you are taking the measurements on?

So now the question, what are the approved routers that I can find that will support the gig speed (or close to it) with the COAX conversion?

The most current 3 gateways are the nvg599, 5268ac, and BGW210 (newest).  I doubt you will get more speed using the BGW210.

COAX conversion?  What's coax got to do with any of this?  Everything is connected with ethernet.

Plus this will save me in the long run instead of paying the monthly rental fee.

These days everyone pays the monthly equipment fee unless you are on some promo or still using your own gateway you bought some years ago (in which case it doesn't support fiber gigabit installations) and never made any service changes which I think would be impossible just switching to fiber.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

@Sting1373

If you insist on HPNA/coax, only the 5268AC and NVG599 have it.

You can use the BGW210 with WAP for secondary U-verse set-top boxes, which is superior IMHO based on school of hard knocks. 

As @_xyzzy_ said, there is no legal way to bypass the RG and associated fees. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@gr8sho

I simply ignored the fact that anyone these days using a gigabit fiber connection is still using an HPNA tv setup.  Silly me!Man Happy

I'll second the opinion about using wireless receivers.  Very convenient.  I share two tv's on one receiver.  One is much less used than the other so when I actually need to use the less used one in the other room I simply move the receiver to it.  Avoids paying the extra receiver box monthly fee for the little used tv.

One caveat about wireless receivers though.  You usually can't know in advance whether the WAP will reach the receiver since it's dependent on distance what the signal need to pass through.  Always worth the try though.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

6 years ago

Right, I think it's the origin of the situation and the perspective that comes into play . Some houses are large and already prewired for coax and if coming from cable want to leverage that investment. I know this was true for me .  I eventually got cured. I have on my todo list upgrading LAN wiring to Cat 6 and adding a few more drops.

I'm actually not sure how many concurrent wireless set-top boxes can stream simultaneously off of one WAP, but even then there's probably ability to run more than one WAP if a LAN drop is available in a distant part of the house.?

In the long run, I'm not sure how things will look .  There's an inherent convenience to using a service like DTVN, and I'd give it another spin if AT&T threw in unlimited data, and negotiated for greater use of native apps by broadcasters. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Just getting caught back up and saw these updates which thanks for the input.  This still didnt answer my question. 

Here is an example, can I replace the 2wire 5268ac modem with the Arris SB8200 that supports DOCSIS 3.1?  Or any other cable modem for that matter.  Keep in mind I only use AT&T for the internet gig service since I'm stuck in a contracted neighborhood.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks, I was hoping some other ADSL modem would work or one of those new ones being used with other ISPs.  Just doesn't make sense to offer that speed and not have a modem that has gig ports to support it.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I am not sure about your speed problem but let me clarify what I said.  I didn't say you couldn't use another router.  I only  said you couldn't replace the att gateway with another router.  You can still cascade another (non-DOCSIS) router behind the att gateway.  But that won't solve your speed problems of course.  Going back to you first post apparently you already know this.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

@Sting1373

There are plenty of people getting full speeds with the BGW210. There are also others who for unknown reasons can't.  Trying to use a cable modem to fix your particular situation is just not possible. The BGW210 is an Arris device and perhaps give that a try.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

@_xyzzy_

Thanks for doing the legwork on wireless receivers. I had the original VAP 401, and never gave me any trouble. 

AT&T replaced it with the VAP2500.  This one seems to like to randomly reboot the receiver, but not enough of an issue for now. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.