reichmaj's profile

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013 12:55 AM

802.11N Band Modem/Router Capabilities

AT&T Forum

I have spent the past three evenings talking with 35 sales and or tech reps for a total of 362 minutes on the phone and have gotten nowhere.  What I am trying to find out is whether AT&T sells straight internet service that will support the 802.11 N band (Protocol) in Missouri (St Louis).  Pretty straight forward, or so I thought.  We presently have UVerse service, 12 mbps (1.5 MBps), VOIP, no TV ,  through an AT&T (Pace – I believe) 3801HGV modem/router on our residential gateway (GW).  This particular router in only G Band capable and provides an average wireless router speed of roughly 2.87 MBps (or 22.96 mbps).  Which is rather slow when moving large files between our networked computers or accessing files on our Network Attached Storage (NAS) device (a LaCIe 2BIG NAS).  And yes I know I could get significantly higher transfer speed if I used wired connection but to wire our house sort of defeats having purchased higher end network adapters.   Thus, the reason I’m interested in seeing if I can obtain or purchase an AT&T support N band modem/router.  I am also aware I can purchase my own commercial N band gigabyte router and bridge the 3801 (not sure I’m technically savvy at this point to attempt that, but I’m sure it could be done – so it’s an option). But like I said I have spoken to 35 separate sales and technicians (level 1,2, and 3) and have been given so many conflicting answers that my head is spinning faster than Linda Blair’s.  I did receive a follow-up reply to a similar question (could I replace my 3801 HGV with the AT&T Model 4111N) which provided good info and actually opened up some additional questions.  Presently you the community seem to have a better grasps of the technical complexities of the situation than AT&T as a whole.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Jeff

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

There are only two models of AT&T gateway that you could use that have 802.11n:

1. Pace 5031NV
2. Motorola NVG589

The Pace 5031NV can be used for Internet-only installations, I'm not sure if it supports VOIP.

The Motorola NVG589 can be used with any installation.

The Pace 4111N cannot be used with your installation, as it is ADSL2+ only, and your installation is VDSL.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

The PACE 5031NV does have U-verse voice (i.e. VOIP) capability.

Personally, I would probably opt for obtaining my own 802.11n router and configuring it as an access point using the instructions post 2 in this thread (written by Some Joe).  Since you're getting 22 Mbps out of 802.11g, then you'd probably get reasonable speeds out of 802.11n in the lower band.  If interference was an issue, I'd recommend you get a dual-band 802.11n device.

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

That seems the best option as AT&T won't sell me either the previously mentions Modem/Routers.  WOuldyou have a personal preference.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I'm probably not much help here.  I have an D-link 802.11g wireless router that I got years ago that has suited me so far.  I've been looking at an ASUS that I've heard interesting things about, but have never used myself.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

You have 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports on your AT&T equipment. I'd hardwire a router with Ethernet to the AT&T equipment - I've used Netgear routers that do support 802.11n - plenty to choose from - and have it do the wireless and forget about using the wireless on your AT&T equipment.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

A little late to this topic, but that's exactally what I did...connected a Netgear R6300 internet port cable into one of the Pace 3801 wired ports. Then I turned off wireless in the 3801 and the 2.4 in the Netgear. Now I have 5GHz wireless for my iPhone 4s and iPad third generation. Works great. I get speed transfers of 11mbps +\- on a 18mbps profile. No interference with only one channel of wireless.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi,

Once you completed this setup were you still able to access your uverse set top boxes via wireless apps?  I had setup a router behind router scenario where I turned off the wireless on the home gateway and used a linksys router but I could not use the uverse app on my ipad or android.  I would really like to improve my wireless performance but not at the expense of those apps.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dize815 wrote:

Hi,

Once you completed this setup were you still able to access your uverse set top boxes via wireless apps?  I had setup a router behind router scenario where I turned off the wireless on the home gateway and used a linksys router but I could not use the uverse app on my ipad or android.  I would really like to improve my wireless performance but not at the expense of those apps.

If you configure your Wireless Router to act as a Wireless Access Point (see post 13 in this thread), then you will be able to use your U-verse apps without an issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.