jax 20's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, May 26th, 2012 4:40 AM

3801HGV residential gateway hard wired ethernet connection issues

I have had U-verse for about six months to a year now.  I first had issues with my home network where none of my laptops wanted to see my desktop (Windows XP SP3).  I finally figured out it was the Mcafee firewall and shut it down resolving that issue.  I was able to track down the issue when my desktop started losing connection despite indicating it was connected to the network.  Shutting down the Mcafee firewall fixed this too for about two weeks.  It started with every three to four days I would have to reboot my computer to connect to the internet.  I could access the gateway but nothing else.  Today that stopped working and I had to reboot the gateway early this morning.  By 1700 nothing was resolving the problem when it came back.  I tried rebooting the computer, gateway, and changing cables with no luck.  The TV still worked but nothing else hardwired.  I checked with another desktop I had which is running Vista Home and same problem but it wouldn't even detect the gateway and its worked fine in the past (No Macafee either).  Last but not least I plugged up my trusty dell laptop (Windows XP) which has a wirless connection and plugged in a hard wire and it detected the connection but was unable to successfully link on some occassions and on others would show linked but again no internet.  So I called up the ATT customer service and they recommended another reboot of the gateway.  Now after this reboot I couldn't get many channels with uverse TV they came in as black only.  I rebooted the gateway again and it got worse.  Finally I rebooted the cable box and got my channels back.

So in summary the following hard wire LAN or Ethernet connections are dead

1. IBM desktop running XP SP3 (Either can't negotiate connection or shows connected but no internet)

2. Dell desktop running vista (shows as cable disconnected.)

3. Dell laptop running XP SP3  (Either can't negotiate connection or shows connected but no internet)

I have another router which I connected the laptop and IBM desktop to and they connected fine with it but they refuse to connect to the 3801HGV.  I currently have the desktop running off wireless which is functional but not the same as a good hard wired connection. 

Things I have tried.

1.  Shutting down all firewalls (nothing)

2.  Rebooting gateway (nothing got worse)

3.  Rebooting computer (nothing)

4.  Changing cables (nothing)

5.  Updating LAN drivers (nothing)

6.  Tested cables with another router (tested good)

7.  Tested computers with another router (tested good)

Can anyone think of what else might be the problem as this one has me a bit frustrated.  I didn't wire my house for LAN for nothing..........or apparently I did.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks folks, it got progressively worse until my cable box lost signal too Saturday night.  Being we were going to be cooped up all day in the house what with the whole tropical storm thing, I called customer service and they said they could send out a new gateway Thursday.  I advised them Comcast could make it out there before then and they sent a tech over with a replacement gateway the next day and all is right again.  I should have trusted my instict that it was the GR and had them replace it earlier.....thanks again for the responses.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

There is always the possibility the RG is bad, call TS and have them send out a replacement.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, I am just perplexed by the fact that their cable box can connect to the gateway but nothing else.  I actually had bought a 510NVG off ebay but I haven't been reading much good about them and am thinking about getting tech support to send me another 3801.  Its hard to find any good information on their gateways as far as which is better and which ones to avoid. 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

I don't beleive the NVG510 will work on your service because it does not do IPTV.

Have you tried unplugging the STB (cable box) and plugging a computer into that port on the gateway?

Have you tried unplugging the STB and plugging it into a different port on the gateway?

Have you done a "factory reset" on the gateway (push and hold reset button for at least 10 seconds)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, when I plugged up the 510 it can't pickup the broadband which is funny because if I go to buy a new gateway from ATT they only list the 510.  I even plugged up my PS2 to make sure that wasn't a problem and it can detect the connection but also can't use it.

I guess to add to the list of things I have tried:

1.  Swapping ports with the tv box (TV box detects connection and works but the computers and PS2 can't).

2.  Plugging in a PS2 via LAN (PS2 detects connection but can't use it).

3.  Rebooting everything again after all my changes (Still not working).

4.  Run the gateway diagnostic tests (Shows all to be fine of course, really only checks the connection)

As I indicated before it totally puzzles me that the cable box can work off any of the ethernet ports but neither a PS2 or any of three computers can.  My main desktop isn't even detecting a connection now even though its plugged up now.  So that leaves me thinking there is something about the gateway where it refuses to accept anything but the cable box.  

Tech support guy thinks is my computer's firewall (yeah all three of them) and I guess the PS2 has an imaginary firewall that prevents connection as well.  

I appreciate everyone's consideration, gonna call ATT back and get them to replace the gateway unless somebody can come up with a magic fix.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@jax 20 wrote:

Yeah, when I plugged up the 510 it can't pickup the broadband which is funny because if I go to buy a new gateway from ATT they only list the 510.  I even plugged up my PS2 to make sure that wasn't a problem and it can detect the connection but also can't use it.

I guess to add to the list of things I have tried:

1.  Swapping ports with the tv box (TV box detects connection and works but the computers and PS2 can't).

2.  Plugging in a PS2 via LAN (PS2 detects connection but can't use it).

3.  Rebooting everything again after all my changes (Still not working).

4.  Run the gateway diagnostic tests (Shows all to be fine of course, really only checks the connection)

As I indicated before it totally puzzles me that the cable box can work off any of the ethernet ports but neither a PS2 or any of three computers can.  My main desktop isn't even detecting a connection now even though its plugged up now.  So that leaves me thinking there is something about the gateway where it refuses to accept anything but the cable box.  

Tech support guy thinks is my computer's firewall (yeah all three of them) and I guess the PS2 has an imaginary firewall that prevents connection as well.  

I appreciate everyone's consideration, gonna call ATT back and get them to replace the gateway unless somebody can come up with a magic fix.

You did not mention whether you did a factory reset (which is different from restarting or rebooting) on the gateway.

The NVG510 is for ADSL2, your service is VDSL2 thus the NVG cannot sync. You will not find any gateways for sale on AT&T for VDSL2 service, they are only "issued" when you start the service or for replacement of defective units.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, the customer service guy had me hold the reset button for 25 seconds. I miss my old DSL with my ol trusty westell 327..........never had an issue.......

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@jax 20 wrote:
Yeah, the customer service guy had me hold the reset button for 25 seconds. I miss my old DSL with my ol trusty westell 327..........never had an issue.......

If the factory reset did not work you need a new gateway. Call in Monday morning and insist they transfer you to the retention department, tell them you've already been through the standard AT&T song and dance of avoidance and you want the gateway replaced.

Yah, they don't make em like they used to. I have a Speedstream 5400 that's almost ten years old that is still going strong.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Along with what CJ suggested send Alex a PM he is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.  He can get you to the right people/dept. to get your issue resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@jax 20 wrote:

Thanks folks, it got progressively worse until my cable box lost signal too Saturday night.  Being we were going to be cooped up all day in the house what with the whole tropical storm thing, I called customer service and they said they could send out a new gateway Thursday.  I advised them Comcast could make it out there before then and they sent a tech over with a replacement gateway the next day and all is right again.  I should have trusted my instict that it was the GR and had them replace it earlier.....thanks again for the responses.

Love it.Smiley Very Happy

Glad to here you got it fixed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.