fastforward's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, November 8th, 2012 3:49 AM

2wire 3801hgv with airport extreme in bridge mode wireless dropping

Hello,

I have an Airport Extreme set in bridge mode.  My uverse TV is downstairs and plugged into Ethernet at the wall that goes to my switch in the closet. The RG is located in the game room.  There is an Ethernet line from the outside that plugs into the RG.  My Airport Exreme is also in the game room and connect to my home network on another port.  My Airport Extreme WAN port connects to an Ethernet port on the RG.  Wired connection work fine.  My problem is with wifi.  It works well and then stops working.  I'm still connected to wifi but cannot get any Internet connection.  The 15 minutes later or an hour later I'm able to surf again.  It's driving me crazy.  I can't set the AE to DMZ plus mode because my TV is not in the same room and needs to be connected directly to the RG.  

Has anyone else experience this?  Why would I be fine on wifi and then have an issue.  I had the 3800hgv before and had the same issue.  Is it possibly my AE that is the culprit.  Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Mark

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

In the AEBS are you connected using DHCP and have you manually selected a channel instead of auto also check and see if the MTU is set at 1500.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@fastforward wrote:

I have 6 wall ports that all connect in my closet to a gigabit switch.  My Airport Extreme is connected to one of those ports.  The STB is also connected to another port.  The only thing connected to my RG is the WAN port on my Airport Extreme.  There are no other routers or access points.  I think I may downgrade the firmware from 7.6.1 to 7.6 to see if that does anything.  Somehow I don't think it will work because when I had cable I did not have this issue.  There may be some issue going on with the RG and AE communication.

If the only thing connected to your RG is the WAN port of your Airport Extreme, then I think we have your problem identified.  Are you saying that the STB is connected through the Airport Extreme to the RG? 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

@oz_1 wrote:

In the AEBS are you connected using DHCP and have you manually selected a channel instead of auto also check and see if the MTU is set at 1500.

The AEBS is in bridge mode and getting DHCP from the RG.  Yes, I have manually selected a channel.  Thinking about it more, this issue happens when I'm browsing.  After about 15-30 minutes on my iPad, there goes my Internet connection.  And it takes another 15-60 minutes to get back on the Internet and showing that I have wifi in the status bar.  The AEBS doesn't have a spot to set MTU, at least I can't find it.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

@fastforward wrote:

@oz_1 wrote:

The AEBS is in bridge mode and getting DHCP from the RG.  Yes, I have manually selected a channel.  Thinking about it more, this issue happens when I'm browsing.  After about 15-30 minutes on my iPad, there goes my Internet connection.  And it takes another 15-60 minutes to get back on the Internet and showing that I have wifi in the status bar.  The AEBS doesn't have a spot to set MTU, at least I can't find it.

How have you got your set top box connected (do not connect it to the AEBS it is not 802.1p compliant) is it run to the RG via coax or ethernet ?

Sorry no MTU setting in the AEBS but there is in your computer need make and OS and in the RG which is default to 1500 but nevermind you seem to have this problem only in wireless mode.

Also it will cause issues if you run the AEBS off the STB ethernet port.

If this is the only ethernet port in the room you need something like a Netgear switch that is 802.1p compliant then split it off to the STB and AEBS.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

@oz_1 wrote:

@fastforward wrote:

@oz_1 wrote:

How have you got your set top box connected (do not connect it to the AEBS it is not 802.1p compliant) is it run to the RG via coax or ethernet ?

Sorry no MTU setting in the AEBS but there is in your computer need make and OS and in the RG which is default to 1500 but nevermind you seem to have this problem only in wireless mode.

Also it will cause issues if you run the AEBS off the STB ethernet port.

If this is the only ethernet port in the room you need something like a Netgear switch that is 802.1p compliant then split it off to the STB and AEBS.

The STB is connected to the AEBS through 2 gigabit switches.  But the AEBS is in bridge mode.  So it is not routing.  The RG is doing the routing.  In essence, the AEBS is acting as a switch and wireless access point.  All devices eventually connect to the AEBS which then connects to the RG.  I have not issue with TV or with wired connections.  The only issue is wireless.  I just downgraded to AEBS firmware 7.6, so we'll see if that does anything.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

As Jeff has stated that is your problem and you need a switch that is p compliant to handle the STB the minute you break the chain with one that is not your problems began.

Are any of the switches you have now 802.1p ? 

If so you could route one ethernet cable from it to your STB and another to your AEBS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.