fastforward's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, November 8th, 2012 3:49 AM

2wire 3801hgv with airport extreme in bridge mode wireless dropping

Hello,

I have an Airport Extreme set in bridge mode.  My uverse TV is downstairs and plugged into Ethernet at the wall that goes to my switch in the closet. The RG is located in the game room.  There is an Ethernet line from the outside that plugs into the RG.  My Airport Exreme is also in the game room and connect to my home network on another port.  My Airport Extreme WAN port connects to an Ethernet port on the RG.  Wired connection work fine.  My problem is with wifi.  It works well and then stops working.  I'm still connected to wifi but cannot get any Internet connection.  The 15 minutes later or an hour later I'm able to surf again.  It's driving me crazy.  I can't set the AE to DMZ plus mode because my TV is not in the same room and needs to be connected directly to the RG.  

Has anyone else experience this?  Why would I be fine on wifi and then have an issue.  I had the 3800hgv before and had the same issue.  Is it possibly my AE that is the culprit.  Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Mark

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

The AES is going to have issues with the multicast traffic coming through it when a DVR or STB is pulling a stream. It's going to put its wireless transmitter into slow and stupid mode, even when it is in "bridge mode."

Please find another way to route your DVR and STBs to a separate port on the RG.  You'll thank me for it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

By switching the lan segment from the AEBS to the RG, the wireless has not had any issues.  That was the problem.  Thanks for your help.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Have you tried rebooting the AEBS ?

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Yes.  It used to come right back, but on a reboot today I was not getting Internet until maybe 45 minutes later.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

It does sound like the Airport is misbehaving and sometimes it can be the power supply (white brick) not delievering the correct output.

Depending on how old it is as to whether you want to chance getting a new power supply

the newer ones have independant g and n radios as well as guest network which is why I bought one.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

It's a 5th generation, so it is the latest.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Check your ethernet cable or swap out cable for another just to eliminate a connection issue.

Does the amber light flash while internet is down ?

Did you use wi-fi diagnostics in the Mac and what Mac and OS ?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Just to make sure, can you confirm this:

The Airport Extreme and the DVR for your U-verse TV are (ultimately) connected to two different ports on the RG and there are no other wireless routers or access points involved in your network.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Swapping cables does nothing.  The light is always green.  I use my iPhone and iPad mostly on wifi, so I notice it on those.  I'm connected on my iDevices, and they show a connection.  I try to go on a site, and it won't go.  Then randomly it works again.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Just to make sure, can you confirm this:

The Airport Extreme and the DVR for your U-verse TV are (ultimately) connected to two different ports on the RG and there are no other wireless routers or access points involved in your network.

I have 6 wall ports that all connect in my closet to a gigabit switch.  My Airport Extreme is connected to one of those ports.  The STB is also connected to another port.  The only thing connected to my RG is the WAN port on my Airport Extreme.  There are no other routers or access points.  I think I may downgrade the firmware from 7.6.1 to 7.6 to see if that does anything.  Somehow I don't think it will work because when I had cable I did not have this issue.  There may be some issue going on with the RG and AE communication.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.