steamboat's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, February 27th, 2011 4:06 PM

2WireModem Model 3800HGV-B Green Lights Blinking

The green lights on my modem (2Wire Model 3800HGV-B) on both the Ethernet and Home PNA areas are not a solid green but continually are in in a "blinking" mode.  I would like to know if this is normal or is it telling me something I should know.  I have had this modem for 2-3 years. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

It's normal, you just may not have noticed it before.  Green is good, means everything is working/synched. Smiley Wink  Red or none is what you worry about.  Be aware that the Wireless light can even go out, even though it's still *working*, it's just not finding a current device using the signal (all your Wireless devices could be turned off).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

389 Messages

13 years ago

The ethernet light blinks when there's traffic going in or out, including TV traffic.  If it blinks all the time it might mean something you aren't aware of is talking to the net -- possibly you have an STB turned on.  Don't know about the PNA light, but I'd guess it means one or more STBs are on.

--

oobleck

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

The HPNA light can go out if the coax loses sync.  I had that happen several times in the early days--my RG wasn't trained properly at install (set up as Coax, but RJ-11).  And if you are using all Ethernet, I would think the HPNA light would not be lit.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

13 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

And if you are using all Ethernet, I would think the HPNA light would not be lit.

Using all ethernet here and indeed, the HPNA light is not lit.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry for following up on a 2 year old question, but can't find the answer anywhere else.  My HPNA light blinks all the time, even when computer and TV are turned off.  Not sure what an STB is - but assuming it is a Set Top Box - it goes off (at least it APPEARS to go off) when the TV is turned off.  We have Uverse, so our phone line is also through the same "modem" (3801HGV).  Would that keep the HPNA light blinking all the time?   I'm starting to get a little paranoid about it.  Thanks much!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

If you are using coax to your Set Top Box (STB), then if the STB is off with the TV the green light should be off, but if its still blinking it is okay, it just means there is HPNA traffic.

Ethernet, HPNA, and Wireless lights will all blink green under normal operation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.