Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Oct 21, 2012
2:02:08 PM
View profile
2Wire 3801HGV and Gigabit Ethernet Connection

I currently have AT&T U-Verse TV and Internet and am wondering if I connect a Gigabit switch to one of the AT&T RG ports, will I be able to surf the web at Gigabit speeds or not?  I currenlty have AT&T High-Speed Internet Max.  My understanding is for WIRELESS this will not be possible as the residential gateway only accepts 802.11b/g (up to 54Mbps).  So for WIRED connections, will I be able to use the 802.11n for faster internet experience?

Thansk in advance!

I currently have AT&T U-Verse TV and Internet and am wondering if I connect a Gigabit switch to one of the AT&T RG ports, will I be able to surf the web at Gigabit speeds or not?  I currenlty have AT&T High-Speed Internet Max.  My understanding is for WIRELESS this will not be possible as the residential gateway only accepts 802.11b/g (up to 54Mbps).  So for WIRED connections, will I be able to use the 802.11n for faster internet experience?

Thansk in advance!

Accepted Solution

2Wire 3801HGV and Gigabit Ethernet Connection

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 21, 2012 2:52:14 PM
(0)
Professor
No, because the max speed for Internet if you can get it in your area is 24mbps. The only thing Gigabit is good for on a network, is moving files around between computers.

Even with Wireless-G, you are not going to achieve anything faster going with Wireless-N.

I ended up lowering our speed to 12mbps, due to we do not do large file moves outside of the network, and even with my son watching Netflix on his PS-3, and us watching Netflix on our Blu-Ray, we saw no difference from 24 to 12 in any kind of bandwidth choking.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Even with Wireless-G, you are not going to achieve anything faster going with Wireless-N.

I ended up lowering our speed to 12mbps, due to we do not do large file moves outside of the network, and even with my son watching Netflix on his PS-3, and us watching Netflix on our Blu-Ray, we saw no difference from 24 to 12 in any kind of bandwidth choking.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: 2Wire 3801HGV and Gigabit Ethernet Connection

2 of 3 (4,674 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2012 10:42:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thaks for all the detail as it is greatly appreciated!
Thaks for all the detail as it is greatly appreciated!

Re: 2Wire 3801HGV and Gigabit Ethernet Connection

3 of 3 (4,612 Views)