Stocker's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 3:28 AM

2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway

U-Verse is this the best CPE that can be offered?

• No bridge mode
  • No 802.11n
  • Limited access/management of DHCP
  • No VPN
  • and above all no Gigabit Ethernet

Basically all of my home PCs are limited based on the 2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway's antiquated features.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

The lack of a true bridge mode is the only true failing I see in that list.  Everything else is something easily provided by your own router.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Wait, wait, wait! I have installation schedule for this next Friday. I don't know what model RG I will receive, but none of them support VPN? Really? That's a deal breaker.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Outbound VPN of most types is supported with the 2Wire gateways. Inbound VPN with the 2Wire gateways can be configured with the firewall for PPTP, in DMZPlus mode or using static IPs for other types.

For the Motorola NVG510, oubound VPN for PPTP is supported with the very latest firmware. Outbound VPN for other types may be supported in IP Passthrough mode. Inbound VPN may work in IP passthrough mode or with static IPs.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I just got off the phone with U-verse tech support.Smiley Frustrated I was inquiring about newer RG's available that had wireless-N or GB-ethernet. After a thirty minute call the man asked if I had another order pending and I told him it was for U-verse voice which was placed today. He said I had to either cancel the current order and replace them both at the same time or wait until May 1st when the phone order will be complete and then order a replacement RG! What?? AT&T's system can't handle two seperate orders at the same time? Craziness I say!!! 

To my real question, is it your professional opinion that I add my own wireless-N router to my network? Or as you say, behind the 3800HGV-B? I have an Apple AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express that I love but haven't used because I was afraid to screw up the working service of my magicjack. But that's out now and AT&T's in. I've used it before with U-verse and just turned off the 3800's wireless from my browser. Looking to get better range, faster transfer speeds from Mac to networked attached drive, & smoother playback from ATV/XBMC over network. Look forward to your answerSmiley Happy

Thanks,

Peter

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Currently AT&T has no 802.11N routers that work on a VDSL2 system (e.g. the same class 2WIRE 3800-HGV).

They are testing a new VDSL2 router, but there's no telling when they will become generally available.  If you want a 802.11N solution today, then you will have to buy your own.

I have my own 802.11g router/access point to make up for the short comings of the 2WIRE as do quite a few others.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My 9 year old 2Wire Gateway is dying. What would be a good replacement modem? or modem/router combo. I use AT&T's 12 bp service.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

6 years ago

@duran_chris, unless you have legacy DSL service (which likely you do not at 12 Mbps), you must use an AT&T-provided Gateway.  If the one you're having isn't working, contact AT&T for a replacement.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.