Protect yourself online
paulette1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 12:31 PM

why does my computer keep asking me to sign in, I've checked 2 weeks.

Why does my computer keep asking me to sign when I have checked keep me signed for two weeks?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

When this sort of thing happens, it's normally because the browser has been set to not allow cookies, to purge the cache after every session, or some other similar security feature.

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

11 years ago

Hello, paulette1

Just checking up on your post. The advice that jeffermc shared is very accurate. You want to make sure that the web browser you are using is accepting cookies if you want it to "Remember" you when accessing websites that require log in.

I found a helpful article that will assist you in setting this up with the most commonly used web browsers.

Helpcentral Help | - SLN2916 - Setting your browser to accept cookies

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

I check 'stay signed in'. Then I do a search. Then I click the icon (I use Safari) to take me back to my home AT&T screen. Mostly this works. Lately it does not work and I have to sign in again. 

On the other hand, last night I signed off, quit Safari, and powered off my computer. When I powered it up today and clicked the icon to take me to the browser, I was already signed in.

Neither of these scenarios should occur.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Also you might check your anti virus and security software.  You may have it set to delete cookies once you sign out.  If you use Norton it is bad about cleaning out the cookies.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, Dinglesby, for your response, Unfortunately this is not my situation as far as I can tell. My apologies if I didn't clearly state my issue. Also, perhaps I should have mentioned that I am not on a network.

Because I use a Mac, I don't have Norton or any other such program. Depending on what I've been doing on the net, I might personally clear out the history & cache when I logoff. If I do that, I can understand why I would need to sign on the next time I turn on my iMac and open my browser (Safari).

Here's a typical scenario that might occur. Keep in mind that this is hypothetical.

Let's say I've opened my browser and signed in checking the box that says, 'Keep me signed on . . . .' Next, I do a search for 'dentists in Dallas, TX' (for example). I'll get a gazillion results and maybe look at some. Then I click on an icon that takes me to my home screen on my browser. If it had been a quick search, I might use the back arrow. Either way, I arrive 'home'. BUT my browser's home screen now tells me I need to sign on. Why? I never signed out.

Conversely, when I'm ready to quit for the day, even tho I had checked the 'keep me signed on' box, I often clear History and Website Data, logoff, 'quit' my browser, and shutdown my computer. The next day, when I open my browser, I am still signed on. Why? I had actually signed out the day before.

These occurences are random altho they are becoming more frequent and I am becoming more confused and frustrated. If a change has been made to software programs, be they by AT&T / Yahoo or by Apple, then something wasn't caught during testing. If this is a software 'fix', then the 'fix' isn't working for me. And that's my story.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.