Protect yourself online
rhuber's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 8th, 2019 4:16 PM

"Save Yourself" spam emails!!!

Hey, AT&T!!

Are you going to do anything about all the "Save Yourself" spam emails I've been getting the past couple of weeks??

Just today I've received 141 emails with the heading of "Save Yourself". And in the time it took to compose this thread I received two more.

The only good thing is that all of them are going into the spam folder. But they're filling up the spam folder which makes it very diffucult to find any

email that might have accidentally been sent to the spam folder.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Att doesn't control this stuff, yahoo does since they are the email service provider.  And I believe they are just going to say "the spam filters are doing their job treating it as spam, end of story".  There was a similar debate some time ago about CBD spam. One of the larger threads on that can be found here.

You can complain to the Postmaster if it will make you feel any better.  Click Report and filter email spam on that page.  That in turn will tell you to email abuse@att.net.  I doubt it will do any good though.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

These are all extortion attempts that have been floating around the past couple of years (at least).  It's not limited to just att/yahoo account users either.  They claim they know this and that, threaten to make it public, can access your camera (even if you don't have one, or it's off and covered), might quote a password you may have used somewhere in the past (probably that somewhere was hacked and that's where they got your email address and old password - old assuming you don't always use the same password everywhere), asked to be paid in bitcoin (generally under 1000), and you got maybe 48 hours to pay up.  Or variants of these things.  Bottom line is ignore them and trash it.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Are you going to do anything about all the "Save Yourself" spam emails I've been getting the past couple of weeks??

You say that like att (or possibly most reading that) even knows what you are talking about.

The only good thing is that all of them are going into the spam folder

As it turns out with att/yahoo webmail that's a bad thing.  If they weren't going into the spam folder you might be able to find something that's the same in all those emails ("save yourself"?) you could define a filter on and send them directly to the trash.  If they all have the same same sender (From) email address or the domain portion of the email address (part after the @), which I seriously doubt, then you could block that address or domain.  But since they are going into spam user defined filters are not looked at.  Blocked address still might.  Never been 100% clear on that one but what are the odds they all have the same domain?   Probably 0.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I am having this issue now for the past 3 days. Annoying. AT&T should do something. Unsettling.....

Employee

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Not sure if your Save Yourself emails also mentioned they had your password. They actually listed a portion of one of mine. My email got hacked 2 weeks ago where they took 3 days of emails so I could not see what web accounts they were resetting passwords, set up a couple of filters to move certain sender emails, and set a forwarding address. I changed all passwords once I realized what was happening but the missing emails could not be recovered (yahoo did not have a snapshot).  Just curious if yours had that additional comment but I have gotten about 100 since last Thursday.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Mine had the comment that they stole a particular password, but it wasn't mine. So far I see all of my emails, don't think they have been hacked. I just worry about the people that don't know any better, they become victimized. Thankfully this forum exists which I think will help them. Thank you for your reply. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I am getting the same thing saying that they have one of my passwords and it actually is one of my passwords. Some of them say that I am being recorded. Is this possible? My camera is covered so I know that no one can see me but what about sound? How does this even happen? Thank you for any feedback and  am not computer savvy so any advice would be appreciated.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I had the same emails stating that I was being recorded. I refuse to open them and  have been ignoring the emails, I noticed these past couple of days they stopped.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much. I will ignore and trash them since they came to my spam mail anyway. Thanks again.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you. I didn't open any of these either. Will now trash them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.