Protect yourself online
mdrieck's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, November 23rd, 2015 2:45 PM

my att.net email account

So the DSL that AT&T is getting us right now is horrible and as my husbands home business is growing it is becoming a problem.  I have had my att.net email account for over 15 years and it would be such a pain to transfer everything.  Do you know of I can keep that email account and switch to a better/faster service?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

If goes into free status if you terminate your ATT account, but your ATT e-mails are your forlife, or at least, until you stop using them.

Just make sure you have a secondary recovery e-mail set up (preferably not att) so you can get a password recovery link, and make sure you have your security questions and answers set, and put in a place you can find them again if you ever need them again in the future.

Other than that, nothing to it.

Tutor

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Hello.  I have an an att.net email account.  I've had it for years and would like to keep it.  However, I just noticed that at&t offers free email accounts.  How can I convert my existing email account to a free one, and still keep the same email address and all my emails?  Help is most appreciated!

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello brown27bjb59,

Do you have your Internet service with AT&T? Your email should be included as a part of your package, or are you paying for the email account only?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Dmitriy, 

Thank you for replying!  I only have the email account.  It turns out that after many, many hours on the phone (actually it was around 4 hours) I was able to find somebody who could help me.  It was ironic that she said the only drawback to moving to a free account is that I wouldn't be able to get phone support anymore.  But she was certainly pleasant and competent.  So, in this age of dimished customer support, I really don't have much to complain about.

Regards,

Ben

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

That's great to hear, thank you for letting us know!

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

thank you for your help.

Tutor

• 

74 Messages

8 years ago

I am moving and living at my in-laws house for a few months.  We will be moving to a neighborhood that does have uverse (within Houston).  It seems that I cannot put my uverse "on hold" as the people who have purchased my house will be moving in before we find an new house.  i am concerned about the @att.net email address.  I have had it for 20 years and it is my lifeline.  I have a few email sub-accounts that I don't want to lose.  My email account is "@att.net", is that under threat at all if I cancel my service.

I do have a backup gmail account as well.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Unless you trasfer ownership of the e-mail account, and share the logins and passwords with them, they should not be able to access them.

Frandkly, unless you set it up otherwise, the only thing they would be able to do is use the phone, and watch tv, if they have u-verse tv service.

Unless you let them also use your pc with all the logins and paswrods, etc. they should not be able to access your internet. (U-verse tv access codes are built into the set top box.)

All e-maill addresses created as an ATT internet service customer, are yours to keep, even after no longer being an active internet customer, as I said before, until, or unless you deceide to stop using it.

Put another way, it is yours for life, or until such time as you deceide to stop using it.

Tutor

• 

74 Messages

8 years ago

exellent!  Thanks for your help.  I feel better now.

Regards,
Chris

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi i had a life changing situation and fell on some hard times and could even be homeless soon. I have had an at&t cell and uverse for a few years always in good standing. Now my bill is beyond anything i can pay at least until hopefully i get back on my feet. So they have suspended my account and my email @att.net no longer has access. Ive had this email without your services before so im upset that you turned it off. I need things in that account. I was under the impression that you can keep it? Can someone please contact me for the information and re enable it? Thank You.

****Update****. For me this issue has not been solved. My account started as a free account and then when i got AT&T services that are now in suspension they refused to turn it back on. The guy said nothing he can do. After that he said if you pay today it will turn on. I explained to him again the reason i have the bill and cant pay it now. Next month i will no longer have a place to live. This is how AT&T threats a long time customer? I have always paid my bills for as long as i had the Service never any issues life happens and it stinks and right now i need to work on fixing my situation
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.