- edited 01-18-2018 7:45 PM
I have a ATT/Yahoo email address. The inbound.att.net server is not responding. I have tried pinging it with 3rd party connection sites (is it down and web site down) neither can connect to it. Is it down says that it may be down for a week. Any one know what the problem might be.
Solved by: Go to Solution.
11-16-2018 1:48 PM
11-19-2018 9:24 AM
12-03-2018 10:43 AM
The problem is still occurring on my wife's POP3 email ,(windows 7,Seamonky email)I can log on to her web email but every time she tries to get her mail on her computer it says "server error try later" she only knows how to get her POP3 email. Has it been changed to Imap or something? I have a friend down the road and he just got ATT DSL windows 7 ,Windows live mail and is having the same problem.
12-03-2018 1:15 PM
There are actually two (2) different UNSOLVED problems.
1. As I documented earlier in this thread, by using a Linux DNS tool I was able to determine that inbound.att.net resolves to multiple (at least 3) different IP addresses. Which one you get depends on which one their DNS resolver chooses to give you. At least one of those server is bad, or at least frequently bad, and email clients simply cannot connect to it at all if the DNS resolver happens to hand you that one. It just isn't there. For myself, I fixed this by getting rid of inbound.att.net in my client settings, and instead hard-coding 22.214.171.124. 126.96.36.199 seems to be responsive most or all of the time.
2. The second problem is that sometimes you can connect to a server, but it gives the "server error try later" error. This is even with 188.8.131.52, and only certain email addresses. There is one of mine that goes out for hours at a time, while my other sub-accounts still work.
I really wonder if we should start two new threads, not marked "Solved", one for each of these issues. For me, these issues started in October or November 2017, and have been festering non-stop since.
12-03-2018 2:39 PM
02-02-2019 12:27 AM
Here's how I finally solved my problem:
I was downloading my mail, about 350 messages. Had 70 messages left ... and Thunderbird just stopped. Everytime I'd hit download, I'd get these messages:
<UserName@swbell.net> Host contacted, sending login information
<UserName@swbell.net> Checking inbox for new messages
downloading 1 of xxx
No messages to download
and it would quit.
Every few hours I'd try again, message count would go up, but no messages were forthcoming.
I could get to the mail by web, but Firefox and their new format clashes and I get "an error has occurred" about the 3rd screen of messages.
Someone suggested the error was on the Thunderbird side, and I'd need to create a new account. Tried that. It would down load the first message, then choke and die. Just like before. Laboring under the assumption that the status of the email was somehow messed up, I went to the web. searched for the email (since I couldn't scroll), and deleted the offending email from the web.
All messages came pouring it, and were dutifully removed from the server.
02-02-2019 11:41 AM
03-14-2019 5:40 AM
I seldom get the 'inbound.att.net is not responding' msg now. Thunderbird connects but now I get the message 'connection to inbound.att.net was reset' almost immediately. I then have to exit TB and restart it and get the same msg. Sometimes after restarting several times the password handshake works and I get my email. Other times I give up and come back later.
03-15-2019 6:01 AM