Protect yourself online
PeteWashington's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, January 19th, 2018 3:38 AM

inbound.att.net is not responding

I have a ATT/Yahoo email address. The inbound.att.net server is not responding. I have tried pinging it with 3rd party connection sites (is it down and web site down) neither can connect to it. Is it down says that it may be down for a week. Any one know what the problem might be.

Thanks

Pete 

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

6 years ago

J, other ISPs do it successfully with as many or more customers.

. . . . Pete

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, but it makes little sense to this end customer that he can always access his ATT email immediately without fail via the web interface, or via the Yahoo mail app on his Android smartphone, but every standalone email client he's used on his desktop or notebooks (Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, or Thunderbird) fails to connect to inbound.att.net at least 30% of the time, and sometimes fails for hours on end. As other users have posted here, something has gone wrong with the way ATT mail servers interface with those clients within the past few years.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

@petercreasey wrote:
J, other ISPs do it successfully with as many or more customers.

. . . . Pete

Let's charitably say that I don't think it's the priority that it might should be.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It is 2:32 pm Aug 29th. I have not been able to connect for 1 1/2 days now. I have not changed a thing in years, literally. What's up?

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

6 years ago

It is felt that the blame with certain AT&T server(s) that have problems; thus, the problem usually goes away after a while.

No one has figured out a way to induce AT&T to fix the discrepancy.

. . . .  Pete

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Why is the response to this issue always ignorance?  I too have been using same mail client settings for years - I am now seeing this "could not connect to inbound.att.net" almost on a daily basis.  The problem is mysteriously resolved a day later, then reappears a day after that.  Is there an F5/load balancer issue here - as the issue is clearly intermittent - now more times broken than not. 

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

I think it has a lot to do with East Indian tech support.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

6 years ago

Look up a few postings and you will see what us users surmise is the
problem that AT&T is choosing to ignore thus far.

. . . . Pete

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

I'm assuming at this point that they no longer want to support anything other than IMAP because the web portal never fails to work for me.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I'm not going through all 82 posts in this thread but this thread started before a change in using email client passwords was recommend.  Specifically using a secure mail key in place of your account password in your email clients.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

You can argue that you think the POP server(s) is (are) intermittently down so nothing on your end will work.   But try the secure key anyhow.  You have nothing to lose.

Note, I don't recall if I posted this recommendation in this thread or not.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.