For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
PeteWashington's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, January 19th, 2018 3:38 AM

inbound.att.net is not responding

I have a ATT/Yahoo email address. The inbound.att.net server is not responding. I have tried pinging it with 3rd party connection sites (is it down and web site down) neither can connect to it. Is it down says that it may be down for a week. Any one know what the problem might be.

Thanks

Pete 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

unable to connect to inbound.att.net is not a problem? I am on a new att modem do you really think Thunderbird firewall is preventing this connection? It's a security att issue and no one to call since it will connect in a hour or so? Once in a while ignores me..

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I've been having this same problem off an on for several weeks after my sbcglobal.net account was split from my yahoo address.  I changed my account password once and that got it working for a while, but then this week I wasn't able to connect at all. 

Today I finally followed the steps to create the secure email key and it's working again. (Profile -> Sign-in Info -> Manage secure mail key -> add...etc.)  I am not sure if this is any better than changing your account password but we'll see if it continues to work.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

me too same thing new security ....Mozilla not allowed.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

Been having problems like those being discussed for years.  I maintain 3 Att.net email addresses and periodically one of them will have issues with the att.net servers, primarily when I'm using Thunderbird. I use webmail until I accumulate a few weeks of emails and then I use Thunderbird to move emails I want to keep off the server and onto my computer.  When I'm having issues, it usually resolves itself within a few days but I think I've discovered something recently.  A few weeks ago, I rebooted my computer after having problems accessing one of my att.net email accounts via Thunderbird.  After rebooting, I was able to check that email account with no issues.  I tried it again the other day when the problem reoccurred and rebooting worked again.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

6 years ago

x,  you have been helpful in the past.

Intermittently for several days (weeks?), the message "inbound.att.net not responding" has been occurring with my SeaMonkey (like ThunderBird) client.  It will occur for several hours and then not occur for quite a while.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

. . . .  Pete

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

I have been complaining for quite a while. All ATT support will say is that
the server is up. And then of course offer to troubleshoot if you pay them.
Someone might tell them that a server can be up but the software might not
be.

I still have the trouble but its been better the last 3 weeks.

Problem is no one at ATT will take ownership of the problem.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@petercreasey  said:

x,  you have been helpful in the past.

Intermittently for several days (weeks?), the message "inbound.att.net not responding" has been occurring with my SeaMonkey (like ThunderBird) client.  It will occur for several hours and then not occur for quite a while.

Any idea what's going on?

I would occasionally see smtp server timeout errors where I had to resend the email multiple times before it sent.  Nothing I could do but keep retrying.  But I haven't seen that problem for some time now and never saw it with inbound.  If the inbound problem is similar I think it is due to a failing server.  I think there are multiple servers handling the traffic so it isn't too much a stretch to believe one can become problematic every now and then (e.g., failing hard driver or whatever).

@petercreasey - by using the @ followed by my  id, _xyzzy_, I will get a notification of the reference to me and can then access the thread and post that did the referencing.  I assume you got a notification because I referenced your name in this post.  Actually 2 notifications since I referenced you twice in this post.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_

>>  it isn't too much a stretch to believe one can become problematic every now and then

x,  thank you for responding.

I don't send much email using my ATT accounts so I only observe the outage(s) when trying to retrieve email.  It does seem that the reports all talk about the inbound.att.net outage(s).

Since this is happening with some regularity as reported by multiple ATT customers, it seems surprising that the recurring problem has not already addressed the problem. 

But what do I know?!?

. . . .  Pete

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I always viewed att as having an arms length relationship with yahoo.   So I am not convenienced att even cares about such problems let alone actually reporting to whoever they contact at yahoo for such problems.  Yahoo may not even know about the problem.  I doubt they track discussions here.  On the other hand I think they (or maybe one or two yahoo representatives) do monitor the yahoo discussions.  It may not hurt to post over there.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_

>>  I am not convinced att even cares about such problems let alone actually reporting to whoever they contact at yahoo for such problems.

x, I understand what you're saying; however, it seems to me that ATT would want to uphold a favorable reputation with respect to anything that has the ATT name on it.

. . . .   Pete

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.