Protect yourself online
elliesbatmitzva's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 23rd, 2013 6:15 PM

how do I set up apple mail to get my email?

I want to be able to download email into Apple Mail.  I cannot seem to get the settings right nor can I find any helpful posts in the ATT.net help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hopefully this will help:

Mac Mail Setup For U-verse

1. Open Apple Mail.
  2. Click on the Mail menu.
  3. Click on Preferences.
  4. To create a new account, click the + in the bottom left-hand corner of the Accounts window.
  5. Enter your name as you want it to appear in the From field in an email, into the Full Name field.
  6. Type your full email address, including the domain name in the Email Address block.Note:  If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the alias email address in this field. 
  7. Type in your password in the Password field.
  8. Click the Continue button.
  9. Choose POP from the Account Type pop-up menu (it should be set as default).
  10. Enter a name for your account in the Account Description field.
  11. In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server field, type pop.att.yahoo.com.
  12. Type your full email address including the domain name in the User Name field.
    Note: If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the full email address of the ID (Primary or Sub Account) associated with the email alias in this field. Do not input the email alias address in this field.
  13. Type your password in the Password field.
  14. Click the Continue button.
  15. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server field, type smtp.att.yahoo.com.
  16. Click the Continue button.
  17. Check the box for Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).  Click the Continue button.
  18. Click the Continue button.
  19. Click the Create button.
  20. On the Accounts window, next to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) use the drop down to select Edit Server.
  21. This is where you will set the server specific settings.
    • Enter in server port 465 Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
    • The Authentication field should be set for Password
    • The User Name
    • The Password
  22. Select OK when done.
  23. Click on Advanced up top.
    • Enter in server port 995 Use SSL
    • The Authentication field should be set for Password
    • The User Name
    • The Password
  24. Click the red Close button in the upper left-hand corner of the Accounts window.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi elliesbatmitzvah,

The step-by-step walkthrough guide that beebeesa provided hit it right on the nail. Hopefully, this got your e-mail setup, but if not, let us know what the errors you are getting, and we can further investigate what issue might be causing it to not work.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

In the solution at http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-email/how-do-I-set-up-apple-mail-to-get-my-email/m-p/3608133#M485 it says:  

6. Type your full email address, including the domain name in the Email Address block.

IS THIS THE NEW ADDRESS OF THE NEW ACCOUNT OR THE EXISTING PRIMARY ADDRESS?

7. Type in your password in the Password field.

SAME QUESTION AS ABOVE

8. Click the Continue button. 

NO MATTER WHAT I ENTER, IT FAILS.  HOW CAN IT FAIL IF IT'S NEW?  WHY DOES IT FAIL IF IT'S FUNCTIONING FOR AN EXISTING ACCOUNT?

I am on Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.8, Mail 4.5, with a U-Verse account,  My primary email is @att.net

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ajames3 - For six & seven - Imagine you are reading the e-mail via the web page & enter what you would to sign on. Essentially, you are setting up apple mail to do that, so it needs the same credentials.

If it does not work try accessing by browser, then try apple mail again. There seems to be some kind of security requiring that step.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I logged into my U-verse sccount with a saved email address and its password.  They were accepted.

On the Apple Mail Preferences Add Account window, I entered my Full Name, the same User Name (email adddress) and Password and hit Continue.  And I got:  "The account  "(my email address)" already has this host name and user name"  and won't let me continue.

It seeeme logical to enter the desired name and password of the account to be added, but that fails.  

What is the program testing?  It can't check a new name and password against what is stored on the host/server  because they haven't been created yet.  It can check that they match what is on the host/server but then why doesn't it let you continue?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

ajames3 - Are you adding the account to macmail with the plus sign as the directions say. The thing is the plus sign is to add a new account, so, if you have created a record on one of your previous tries, you just need to select it from the column on the left & update those fields.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I have previouslly tried to follow the offered solution many times.  If in the Add Account window I enter the name and password for the account I want to create, I get a message that the Name/Password don't match up.  If I enter the name and password of my primary account, I get a message that it's already in use on the host computer.  It's Catch 22.  Just what name and password is it looking for?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

In the mail preferences selecting the account tab there is a column on the left that lists all your active accounts.

You can click on each to display the details to see if there is one that you already set up & you can use that to access your primary account.

If youy are try to create a new account, do that first with your provider via web access. THen you suould be able to add it to the macmail without getting an error message

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Continuing:  I see that I repeated myself because I just posted a reply not noticing that there were helping messages in the interim.  I comprehend that the server computer wants verification that I'm entitled to an additional Mail account.  But if I feed the server account identification back to the server in the Add Account window, why does it complain that it's already there?  Just what would make the server happy?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

The macmail is just a means of accessing e-mail servers that is more efficient than accessing them via a browser, As such, you are just giving the macmail info to find and access an existing account.

Based on that, I am guessing that the error of mismatch of ID & password is coming from the mail server because there is no account with that ID/PW.

The already exists message is coming from the macmail because you aleady have have a record with that info. in macmail.

Are you using any accounts in macmail & have you any records there? If you are not using but do have records, use the minus sign to remove all records to eliminate the duplication. Them it should accept that one with the Plus sign.

For the new one you habe to create it on the e-mail server first, using browser access.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.