Explore & discover

Helpful Links

hacked email

Highlighted
Contributor

hacked email

A few days ago mi email address was hacked and people in my address list started getting span as if it was from me. Since then I've stoped receiving email to my inbox. i'm still receiving email to my spam folder. is there a way to fix my email issue.

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tbrown92626
‎09-06-2019 8:01 AM

Re: hacked email

Here's my standard list of things to do if you suspect someone actually got into your webmail account.

• Change your password and security questions. The link I supplied allows you to change the password three ways; using your security questions, using your recovery email address, or by snail mail.
  • Log into your webmail through start.att.net and click the settings gear->more settings. In there you will see a number of commands on the left. The ones that need checking are Mailboxes, Filters, and Security and Privacy.
  • Mailboxes. Click that and choose an account in the Mailbox list to bring up that account's settings panel on the right. Check the name and reply-to address and see if it is suspicious. Blank it out if you don't want that set. Check the forwarding setting and make sure it is blank or what you want. Check the other settings there as well. When you are done click the Save button at the bottom to update that account's settings.
  • Filters. Look for suspicious filters and subtle filter names like '.' (a dot) or ':'. Remove them and click the Save button.
  • Security and privacy. Make sure no addresses are defined who's email you don't want blocked. Click Save to update those settings.
  • Contacts list.  While it doesn't affect the running of the webmail it's still good to check to see if everything you expect is there.  If you contacts are gone you may be able to restore them clicking on the Contacts Actions in the toolbar and selecting "Restore from backup...".

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support